Goma | Kinshasa
Role & Responsibilities
Oversees all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Emergency projects targeting displaced, war affected and vulnerable populations in Eastern Congo. Projects are focused on health, WASH and infrastructure rehabilitation, with a strong emphasis on rapid response to emergency situations in complex and unstable environments. Capacity building of local health employees and populations aimed at long term and sustainable behaviour change to improve public health outcomes.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Field based position in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo. Take a look at Medair’s work in D.R. Congo**.**
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Leadership & Management
· Design and evaluate the country strategy. Take into account community needs, donor criteria and exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects.
· Oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor guidelines.
· Manage the overall programme and support functions, reviewing the management structures.
· Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation and the surrounding region in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives.
· Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations.
Donor Relations Management
· Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners in order to secure funding for the country programme.
· Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and HQ staff.
· Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, churches, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies to raise public awareness and identify funding opportunities and other partnerships.
· Ensure that the HQ Marketing and Relationships (M&R) Department receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising activities.
· Ensure that timely programme reports are updated and submitted to HQ.
· Support the planning and construction of project budgets.
· Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements and oversee audits.
· Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud.
· Oversee HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety and capability disciplinary action.
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice, support and appropriate communication.
· Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
· Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained.
· Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
· Promote and use the Medair e-library ensuring that guidelines are followed.
· Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
· Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs, implementing corrective actions as required.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
· Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
· Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
· Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
· Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
· Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
· University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
· Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
· 3 years’ experience in a management position.
· 1 years’ experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
· Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
· Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
· Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
· Advanced leadership and project management skills.
· Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
· Good report, proposal writing and negotiation skills.
· Team-player with good inter-personal and communication skills.
· Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
· Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
· Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
· Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
· Overseas intercultural experience.
· Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
· Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written.
· Working knowledge of French, spoken and written, for French-speaking field programmes.
· Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
· Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
· Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
· All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
· Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
· Security training for those going to insecure environments.
· Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
· Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
· Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food).
· Annual leave.
· Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
· Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
· A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month.
· Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
· Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
· This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/country-director-drc-goma then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
You can follow us on Facebook , Twitter , or LinkedIn .
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Goma | Kinshasa
- Grade: Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-01-02