Senior IP Counsel
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information.
We are seeking an experienced, pro-active and results-oriented Senior IP Counsel to commit his/her skills in the negotiation, contracting, and licensing of Intellectual Property to contributing to global food security and reducing poverty. The successful candidate will work within the Legal & Intellectual Property team, and interact with colleagues amongst the organization, as well as with public and private sector partners worldwide, particularly in the multinational biosciences sector.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s headquarters in Texcoco, State of Mexico.
- Provide legal transactional and advisory support for CIMMYT’s public-private partnerships (PPPs) portfolio, including with multinationals.
- Negotiate terms and devise agreements for consortium type of arrangements with public and private sector partners.
- Provide legal and IP assessment of technologies chosen by scientific team members to be used in CIMMYT’s research agenda; if necessary, assess (or solicit the assessment of) the freedom to operate of third party information and technologies.
- Propose strategies, policies and procedures to disseminate and deploy CIMMYT information, seed, and agricultural technologies through PPPs and consortia.
- Compile and assess information on the pertinent legal environment (seed, biosafety, IP laws, and regulations).
- Oversee compliance with IP related Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines.
- Assist in other IP related matters as requested by your line manager.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- J.D or equivalent degree from a reputable, internationally accredited law school with a background (MSc or BSc or similar) in agricultural sciences.
- A minimum of 4 years work experience as an international transactional attorney focused in the agricultural/biological fields.
- Demonstrated experience in contract negotiation and licensing in the frame of public-private partnerships.
- Proven track record of effectively managing a large docket of cases of different magnitude and complexity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency, both oral and written, in English (essential) and Spanish (desirable).
- Experience and ability to work with a team framework and in a multicultural environment.
- Relationship Management
- Problem Solving
- Strategic Thinking
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online please visit our website to find the announcement and link to apply for 16827 Senior IP Counsel. Screening and follow up of received applications will begin on Friday, 15 July 2016. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will remain open until filled. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIMMYT
- Location: Mexico City
- Grade: Senior level
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Patent and Intellectual property
- Closing Date: 2017-02-28