Gender Specialist, P-4, South Sudan
The Gender Specialist is located in the UNFPA South Sudan Country Office based in Juba. Under the overall guidance of the Country Office Representative, and direct supervision of the Project Coordinator of the large Strengthening Midwifery Services II project (SMS), co-funded by the Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) and implemented under the country programme in close partnership with the National Ministry of Health and implementing partners, the Gender Specialist provides overall technical support and advice for the integration of gender equality issues including gender based violence (GBV) into the midwifery programme implemented in South Sudan. S/He manages the full range of gender and GBV issues particularly related to the SMS project.
Requirements and Qualifications:
Education: Advance university degree in gender equality, women’s rights or other social sciences; or public health, community health, international relations, international law, human rights or related field with special focus on gender or women’s empowerment issues;
Knowledge and Experience:
- Seven years of working experience in the fields of gender equality and work related to prevention and response to gender based violence, five of which should be spent at the international level
- Knowledge of the UN system, additional training in reproductive or public health, or related field will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in office software applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent language English skills, including the ability to draft reports clearly and concisely
- Working experience in conflict/post conflict settings;
- Experience of mainstreaming, advocating or implementing gender equality perspectives at the field level and in the health sector;
- Skills as a trainer, including training-of-trainers (TOT);
- Knowledge of and experience with the adherence to UN GE policies, standards and action plans.
Languages: Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is desirable
- Organization: UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
- Location: Juba
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2016-08-02