IRC3384 LAND AND WATER OFFICER
Tunis | Tunis
The Sub-Regional Office for North Africa (SNE) is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities in North Africa also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and Implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme Implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. SNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide Institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Sub-Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the Sub regional Office for North Africa, in Tunis, Tunisia
The Land and Water Officer reports to the Sub regional Coordinator for North Africa
Land and Water management and desertification control
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Regional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Regional objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
•Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
•Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
•Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
•Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
•Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
•Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
•Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy
•Performs other duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in agronomy with specialization in natural resources management, environment, land management, water/ hydrology or related field
· Seven years of relevant experience in land and water resources and environmental related activities, including resources/ecosystem assessment and management, land degradation and desertification
· Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
· Results Focus
· Team Work
· Building effective relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Extent and relevance of knowledge of land and water resources assessment/management tools and methods
· Extent and relevance of experience in analysing land and water management and land and water resources related issues
· Extent and relevance of experience in the use of participated and integrated (cross-sectorial) and water resources planning and territorial development tools and methods, ecosystem assessment/management and geo-statistical/ spatial analysis for sustainable land and water resources development
· Ability to mobilize resources
· Working knowledge of French and limited knowledge of English or Arabic is considered a strong asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Tunis | Tunis
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2016-06-17