People Systems and Analytics Manager
Portland | Washington D.C
PROGRAM/ DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
The People and Strategy Team ensures that Mercy Corps has the people, strategies and learning that will enable it to be a world-class, cutting edge, humanitarian organization, creating transformational change in the world. We do this through: the recruitment, retention and development of the best global talent. Our aim is to drive strategic thinking and planning at all levels of the organization; create a robust body of research to guide us internally and externally and steward the organizational culture. To achieve this we align conversations on learning; keep the organization focused on what has the greatest impact; leverage our comparative advantages in the crowded and competitive international relief and development landscape; and assure we are constantly learning from our work and the external environment.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The role has two major priorities:
- Support the effective maintenance and utilization of a suite of online People systems.
This position will provide the overall leadership, planning, project coordination and management required to oversee all People-related systems including the Talent Acquisition System, Global Human Resource System, and the remaining platforms supported by Cornerstone on Demand. Each system is housed within a functional team with a system-lead within that team. This position will lead processes to analyze agency and departmental needs, system development and vendor management. S/he must be capable of making informed recommendations regarding the complex systems, programs and processes at Mercy Corps and to assist subject matter experts by ensuring data integrity, testing of system changes, report writing and analyzing data flows for process improvement opportunities.
- Lead all people systems analytics for Mercy Corps, matching insightful data with priority business decision-making needs.
Mercy Corps faces extremely complex People challenges and our current use of data for decision-making is inadequate. Building on the platform and increasingly available data described above, lead Mercy Corps' transition to a sophisticated user of People analytics. Ensuring initially that all 'foundational' analytics are industry standard with robust Key Performance Indicators (KPI's), and then graduating to more advanced predicative analytics.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Support system rollouts and ongoing maintenance and troubleshooting
- In partnership with system-leads on all People-related systems including the Talent Acquisition System, Global Human Resource System and the remaining platforms supported by Cornerstone on Demand, coordinate project teams, including management, users, implementation team and vendors in system implementation activities.
- Maintain the configuration, customization, implementation and upgrade of the above mentioned People systems.
- Define and document project scope, expected outcomes, timelines, resource allocation and test plans for new, customized and enhanced processes and/or system upgrades.
- Design, document and code program logic and databases, while maintaining data dictionary criteria.
- Develop user documentation and departmental policies and procedures that impact the use of application systems.
- Create documentation to support the design and entry of information into the system (i.e. system field mapping)
- Maintain awareness of vendor plans and the potential impact of those plans on current and future systems functionality.
- Plan, budget and forecast People systems needs and applications, in partnership with team leads.
- Write test scripts, scenarios for systems testing following version release upgrades and multiple vendor file interfaces.
- Develop and coordinate in-house user training sessions, guidance and resource support for departmental staff and end users of People Systems.
- Identify and conduct root cause analysis related to poor performance and/or issues inhibiting performance and proper execution of the People Systems. Troubleshoot failed processes and coordinate with vendors to correct systems issues.
- Lead the development of standard reports, dashboards and other reporting mechanisms to support ongoing needs of agency and departmental leadership.
- Generate reports/queries; help maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data.
- Implement robust agency metrics based on People-related data to analyze issues such as, but not limited to, voluntary and involuntary turnover, hiring, promotions, performance and the health of each country field office.
- Promote proactive approaches using the People systems to solve business needs/problems, while also enhancing the understanding and acceptance of the systems capabilities.
- Based on business needs, negotiate priorities and support requirements with IT and senior management, field team members and others, as appropriate.
- Stay abreast of industry trends by conducting cross analysis of systems practices against industry good practice.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: None
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Chief People and Strategy Officer
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Senior Director Global Human Resource Services, Senior Director Global Talent; IT, Finance and Operations teams
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/S in Information Systems, Computer Science or other technical/analytical field required, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years' experience in application management and support.
- Proficiency in business intelligence systems/ platforms: 3-5 years of experience presenting performance data and metrics to inform management decisions.
- Excellent data visualization skills.
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to gather relevant data and information, actively listen, dialogue freely, verbalize ideas effectively, negotiate tense situations successfully, and manage and resolve conflict.
- Demonstrated expertise of building consensus across business partners and technology leaders, and influencing successful outcomes
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams and provide exceptional project management support.
- Requires ability to communicate with technical and non-technical users.
- Project Management certification and
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects.
- Proven ability to take direction from multiple supervisors as well as work independently using initiative.
- Knowledge of business processes, especially in Human Resource Management, Recruitment, Talent Management, On-Line Learning and/or Compensation preferred.
- Proven experience maintaining confidentiality.
The People Systems and Analytics Manager is a detail-oriented multi-tasker able to communicate clearly, work under pressure and have ability to exercise independent judgement in planning, prioritization of multiple projects, organizing and performing systems analyst tasks. S/he must have a clear demonstrated track record translating the power of insightful people-oriented data and analytics into useful products for decision makers on a timely basis. S/he must demonstrate patience, flexibility and the ability to take the initiative to solve problems and meet deadlines. Vital skills include communication (both written and verbal), as well as building and maintaining effective internal and external relationships are required. Demonstrated experience of interdepartmental collaboration and problems solving is key.
LIVING /ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
This position is based in Portland, Oregon and is expected to travel up to 20%. Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Staff are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Portland | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-06-23