Consultant - Labour Migration
Colombo | Colombo
Position Title : Consultant - Labour Migration
Duty Station : Colombo, Sri Lanka
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 27 May 2016
Reference Code: CON 2016/10
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is implementing a four-year regional project, entitled “Strengthening Labour Migration
Governance through Regional Cooperation in Colombo Process countries”, with funding support
from SDC. As one of the key project outputs, it aims to promote regulatory harmonization of
recruitment intermediaries among the Colombo Process Member States (CPMS) and between
the CPMS and countries of destination (CODs) through facilitating thematic discussions and
IOM aims to address the gaps and differences in regulatory frameworks and facilitate regional
cooperation in the CPMS and greater engagement with CODs through following key activities: Convening of three regional symposiums between the CPMS and CODs to discuss ways to
promote regulatory harmonization of recruitment intermediaries.
Production of a synthesis report on recommendations to promote the regulatory
harmonization based on discussions at the symposiums.
Follow-up initiatives that the identified CPMS can adopt to operationalize recommendations
from the synthesis report.
For further information, please visit the IOM Sri Lanka website http://srilanka.iom.int/iom/.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
This consultancy encompasses the following three interrelated activities:
- -Produce background papers for three regional symposiums on promotion of regulatory harmonization of recruitment intermediaries.
- Take detailed analytical notes at the symposiums.
- Produce a synthesis report based on the analytical notes. The synthesis report shall include actionable recommendations to promote regulatory harmonization in the CPMS.
i). Production of background papers for three regional symposiums
Three full-day symposiums will be organized by bringing both the CPMS and COD officials to
the discussion table with thematic inputs from experts. Objectives of the three symposiums are
envisaged as follows:
- To identify existing regulatory gaps and differences among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs vis-à-vis global standards
- To build consensus on the need for collaborative actions for promoting regulatory harmonization among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs
- To explore ways to promote regulatory harmonization
- To identify and agree on priority collaborative actions to be pursued among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs
To launch a synthesis report and present actionable recommendations
To discuss and identify the CPMS (and CODs) who are interested in being part of the follow-up initiatives to adopt to implement the recommendations The consultant shall produce background papers for each symposium, which will include
thematic papers to brief the participants on key issues in regulatory harmonization and global
standards and also guidance notes for a facilitator to steer the discussions in line with the
ii). Production of detailed analytical notes during the symposiums
The consultant shall attend each symposium and take detailed analytical notes, which will form
the basis of a synthesis report to be developed after the end of the 2nd symposium.
iii). Production of a synthesis report based on the analytical notes
A synthesis report shall be based on key discussion points and inputs generated through the
first two symposiums and shall include actionable recommendations to promote regulatory
harmonization among the CPMS and between the CPMS and CODs. It should be drafted in due
reference to global standards and best practices as well as through carefully examining the
recommendations from the IOM-commissioned regional study.
At the 3rd symposium, the consultant shall present key points and actionable recommendations
from the synthesis report and participate in discussions for identifying the CPMS (and CODs)
who are interested in being part of the follow-up initiatives to adopt to implement the
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Law, Public Policies, migration studuies or related field with 5 years of professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with 7 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in research and analyses on international labour migration laws, foreign employment policies, or immigration/ emigration policies, preferably in West, South and South-East Asia and GCC
- Experience in qualitative research;
- In-depth knowledge of migration issues specifically on the issues of regulatory framework on international labour recruitment, recruitment monitoring, and global and regional initiatives in ethical recruitment.
- Strong thematic knowledge and ability to deliver quality products consistently throughout the consultancy duration.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex issues by taking into account the situations of multiple countries and synthesize the analysis with concrete recommendations in writing.
- Excellent organizational skills and punctuality of the submission of the deliverables.
- Flexible to accommodate certain changes to the timeline and methodology and responsive to changes as part of the review and feedback process.
Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Applicants are requested to submit and attached previous sample documents produced for similar assignments.
- The all-inclusive fee for this Consultancy is equivalent to PX of the IOM/UN Salary Scale for Staff in the Professional Category. IOM will cover travel expenses to/from the place of duty.
- Before commencing work, the Consultant will be required to submit a statement of good health signed by a certified medical doctor, including confirmation that the Consultant’s vaccinations required for the country or countries to which travel may be required are up to date.
- IOM only covers the Consultant against occupational accidents and illnesses under the Compensation Plan (CP), free of charge, for the duration of the assignment. IOM does not provide evacuation or medical insurance for reasons related to non-occupational accidents and illnesses. The Consultant is responsible for his/her own medical insurance for non-occupational accident or illness.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 27 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.05.2016 to 27.05.2016
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Colombo | Colombo
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Security policy
- Security policy
- Social studies
- Social studies
- Labour Market Policy
- Labour Market Policy
- Closing Date: 2016-05-27