Consultant - Conflict Advisor
Erbil | Baghdad
Position Title : Conflict Advisor
Duty Station : Erbil, Iraq
Classification : Consultant
Type of Appointment : Consultant, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : 01 June 2016
Closing Date : 27 May 2016
Reference Code: CON 2016/13
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Mission in Iraq and the direct supervision of the
Program Coordinator, the successful candidate will provide conflict sensitive analysis and
guidance for community stabilization, peacebuilding, and social cohesion activities in Iraq. S/he
will assist the Program Coordinator in the implementation of a multi-year peacebuilding and
social cohesion strategy – including strategic planning, development and implementation of tools
and guidelines, assessments, training sessions and Monitoring and Evaluation methodologies
pertinent to peacebuilding and social cohesion programming – under the overall community
stabilization portfolio, with a particular focus on programming funded by the EU Instrument for
Contributing to Stability and Peace (ICSP)
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide guidance and supervision to conflict-sensitive community assessments, ensuring that project’s methodology will be under continuous adaptation based on a contextualized analytical understanding of root causes of conflict, ongoing tensions and grievances, triggers for violent resolutions of disputes, coping mechanisms, formal and informal venues for dialogue, and key factors to sustain the peace dividend.
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator on the design and refinement of strategies and operational plans to maximize IOM assistance in the areas of community stabilization, peace-building and social cohesion in the context of providing durable solutions for internally displaced persons, returnees and host communities across Iraq.
- Review and analyze available documentation, reports, studies and best practices on conflict management related issues in Iraq and Middle East in order to build a set of measures to help mitigate the tensions in the communities between IDPs and host community members.
- Lead the design and support the implementation of conflict transformation and transition initiatives, including community stabilization programming particularly, but not exclusively, addressing social cohesion, reparation and peacebuilding.
- Coordinate closely with Project Officer, RUSI Research Consultants, and program Focal Points (CwC, CAPs) under the EU IcSP to ensure that activities are designed, implemented and monitored in accordance with a conflict sensitive methodology and peacebuilding strategy.
- Ensure that youth will engage with peers and members of their communities through selected activities in safe social spaces (Community Centers) and in a conflict sensitive and peacebuilding oriented communication strategy.
- Design and deliver training sessions on conflict and peacebuilding related issues to IOM field staff and partner organizations’ staff in the concerned areas of implementation.
- Liaise with relevant national and international counterparts, including representation of IOM at relevant meetings, workshops, public gatherings, as required.
- Assist the Program Coordinator and Project Development Unit in preparing narrative reports, programmatic updates, and other project and programme-related inputs for Community Stabilization (including Peacebuilding, Social Cohesion and Psychosocial Support) Programming, as required by the donor(s) and IOM.
- Undertake duty travel as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Post-conflict Studies, International Relations, Political Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
Experience with community stabilization, peace-building, social cohesion and/or development interventions in conflict and/or post-conflict settings (required).
Experience in liaising and building effective partnerships with donors, government authorities, other national/international institutions including research institutions and NGOs (required).
Thorough knowledge and proven experience in project cycle management concepts (project development, Logical Framework design and analysis, monitoring & evaluation, reporting).
Proven ability to assess staff needs and deliver training sessions on conflict related topics (required).
Previous working experience in the Middle East region (required); experience with community stabilization operations in Iraq (desirable).
Familiarity with EU funding mechanisms, in particular the IcSP, is an advantage
Fluency in English is required. Good working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 27 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.05.2016 to 27.05.2016
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Conflict prevention
- Conflict prevention
- Closing Date: 2016-05-27