Deputy Programme Manager/Deputy Chief of Party
Islamabad | Islamabad
Position Title : Deputy Programme Manager/Deputy Chief of Party
Duty Station : Islamabad, Pakistan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 May 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in Islamabad and direct supervision of the PTI Programme Manager/Chief of Party, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing programme implementation and provide support to operations for the successful implementation of the Pakistan Transition Initiative (PTI).
The Deputy Programme Manager/Deputy Chief of Party is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT). The successful candidate will have oversight of the IT/Database, Grants, Reporting, media outreach, agriculture/livelihoods and gender focus. Primary among the duties of this post is to ensure the Grants Unit maintains proper documentation for each grant activity implemented under PTI. Successful performance will result in a managed grant portfolio which delivers flexible and quick responses to facilitate government and community priorities in targeted areas of operation in support of stabilization goals in the region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage the Operations, agriculture/livelihoods and NGO Grants departments and provide oversight the staff of the IT/Database, Grants departments and provide managerial support in other areas of the programme as needed. Develop Terms of References (ToRs) and provide trainings as needed.
Closely review the narrative, technical and budget components of all grants and reports and ensure they capture all aspects required to fulfil the goals and objectives of the Programme. Develop, implement and strengthen the reporting system of programmatic activity for donors, programme partners and administration. Coordinate the preparation and submission of weekly activity notes/grant updates, weekly upload of database on OTI anywhere, and all other requested related information for the donor as well as internal circulation.
Support the development of M&E procedures as required.
Supervise the Media assistant to ensure timely media outreach on grant activities; oversee the refinement and implementation of the media outreach strategy to support ongoing visibility that will enable the programme to achieve its objectives. Review media plans, press releases and other documents developed for the media outreach strategy to ensure the correct messaging, according to donor and government requirements.
Work closely with the Technical/Engineering unit to ensure that the unit is well organized to prepare, design and review all engineering drawings and Bills of Quantities (BoQs) for the infrastructure projects in a timely manner. Work closely with the Head of Technical Unit to promote more rigorous technical assessment mechanisms on infrastructure activities.
Oversee the IT/Database department to ensure that all steps of the grant activity cycle are scrupulously observed especially hardcopy and electronic (namely OTI Anywhere and Document Registry) documents for all grants are properly filed and in order; retrieve data in a systematic fashion, and ensure appropriate institutional memory.
Support the NGO Project Officer in their efforts in building capacity of local partner organizations, particularly in the areas of financial and activity tracking and verification and M&E.
Be proactive in identifying bottlenecks and problems in grant implementation procedures and suggest changes in the Activity Cycle to the Chief of Party/ Programme Manager to increase programme efficiency.
Produce reports and run queries on the database as requested by the Programme Manager, donors or others in a rapid fashion. Develop reporting templates and refine existing mechanisms as required.
Liaise with the donor to revise and update the database, including submission of grant, budget and grant amendments, if required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Management, IT or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in operational activities in a conflict area working with USAID Programmes, preferably with OTI;
• Significant database experience, preferably with Microsoft Access required;
• Experience working in the fields of infrastructure and media desired;
• Experience in graphic design, Power Point or other software to generate sophisticated
• Experience working long hours under highly stressful conditions on high profile Programmes in insecure, crisis and/or culturally challenging environments with limited movement and infrequent social interactions; and extensive experience working under UNDSS security rules in insecure environments.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any regional languages is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 18 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 12.05.2016 to 18.05.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/97 (P) DeputyProgrammeManagerIslamabad,Pakistan
Posting: Posting NC54791903 (54791903) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Islamabad | Islamabad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Development Cooperation
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-05-18