Job Title: MEAL Manager
Country: GOAL UK
Start Date: ASAP
Reporting to: Deputy Health Director Policy and Innovation
General Description of the Programme
GOAL’s Health Unit is a new initiative, building on recent work in the West Africa Ebola response and recognising more widely that there is a significant gap in global health service provision for the most vulnerable and that the international capacity to mobilise and deploy emergency health response resources lags far behind the need.
New health threats, such as the emergence of new type epidemics, increased burden of communicable diseases necessitating the need for long term health care, protracted conflicts and natural disasters destroying health systems, large scale population displacement as well as increasing urbanisation all pose new challenges to global health. This threat was evidenced most recently with the unprecedented Ebola epidemic in West Africa highlighting that the communicable diseases poses one of the largest threats to global security. The Ebola epidemic indicated more clearly than ever before that health challenges cannot be tackled on a country by country basis but that there needs to be a coordinated global health effort to have an increased number of technical response specialists, an increasing amount of data on possible threats and more resilient health systems in fragile countries.
The Ebola response also highlighted that GOAL’s country programmes do not have the technical strengthen to respond appropriately to health crisis to ensure an efficient and effective response without causing undue pressure to the country programme. The proposed Health Unit intends to be able to provide the required technical support to countries to respond to both sudden and on going health crisis with robust evidence and to collaborate strongly with the roving programme quality team to build resilient health systems in fragile states.
Overview of the role
Objective: The MEAL Manager will provide technical expertise to ensure that GOAL’s MEAL system is implemented effectively. He/She will be the key focal point for the EMT for all aspects of MEAL. A key part of the role will be supporting establishment and implementation of MEAL in emergencies supporting the EMT, as well as GOAL’s partner organisations. Advocating for high quality and accountable programmes will be key to this role which should ensure evidence-based programming and donor compliance.
- Provide technical guidance to ensure that MEAL systems are successfully established and implemented during emergencies and key deliverables achieved.
- Assist in the recruitment and management of MEAL staff during emergency responses (preparing JDs, assisting in recruitment; management of national staff).
- Support roll out of HIS: working with the EMT to support data gathering, collection, analysis and dissemination to feed into internal and external health information mechanisms.
- Maintain and update a MEAL Framework for the EMT health responses, bringing together tools and outlining systems. Working with the EMT to develop new tools as required.
- Ensure that routine response monitoring takes place on time (including initiation of satisfaction surveys with stakeholders).
- Ensure establishment and smooth running of any GOAL EMT health responses complaints and response mechanism, providing effective oversight.
- Oversee the roll out of activities and training within the GOAL EMT Accountability Framework and draft the frameworks for health responses as needed.
- Ensure the accuracy, timeliness and effectiveness of GOAL’s verification system.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight to EMT to integrate programmatic data with partner data and produce results dashboards using Microsoft PowerBI.
- Oversee the effective communication and use of monitoring data and feedback/complaints to improve current programming, including development of agreed recommendations to ensure continual improvements to the quality and appropriateness of programme activities.
- Feed into the overall health response strategy, providing data and analysis as required for strategic purposes and new programme design, including proposal development. Design results frameworks ensuring that indicators are SMART and that required MEAL equipment, research projects, surveys, evaluations and staffing are budgeted for (in coordination with the Senior Field Coordinator - EMT).
- Ensure that the organisation delivers on all internal and external MEAL requirements in a timely manner and with high quality information.
- Provide capacity building, technical support and training to health response staff and GOAL’s local partners on all areas of MEAL.
- Co-ordinate, supervise and review all surveys, baselines, assessments, AAR, RTR and research projects including supporting the recruitment of consultants, designing tools and sampling methodologies, training teams, planning fieldwork, producing analysis and reports.
- Coordinate with Global MEAL Advisor, HQ Dublin on any joint initiatives or feedback on development of organizational research and evaluation.
- Promote and strengthen the understanding of the importance of MEAL within the health unit and the use and /or analysis of MEAL systems during programme design and implementation.
- Be an advocate for learning in the health unit ensuring that learning is captured and shared effectively.
- Represent GOAL at relevant coordination meetings.
- Any other relevant tasks at the request of Line Manager.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- A primary Degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Development Studies or relevant discipline.
- At least 5+ years of implementing surveys and other research activities within an NGO environment.
- Experience of M&E in emergency responses.
- Willingness to travel and experience of working in insecure environments.
- Demonstrated experience in applying quantitative and qualitative/participatory research methods.
- Demonstrated experience with staff management; experience in distance/remote management a plus.
- Proven capacity to build the M&E skills of colleagues, partners and community members.
- Understanding of mainstreaming principles and experience of working on mainstreaming activities.
- Confident presentation and facilitation skills, proven record in provision of trainings.
- Proficiency in using standard computer software, especially MS office as well as data entry/statistical packages, such as MS Access, SPSS, Minitab, Epi Info.
- Understanding of database design. Knowledge of SQL or C# desirable.
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge of Sphere and commitment to humanitarian principles.
- Excellent oral and written (English) communication skills.
- Oral and written (French and/or Arabic) communication skills a distinct advantage.
General terms and conditions
GOAL has Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: London
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-05-31