Technical Advisor, Gender Integration (WE)
Washington D.C | Washington D.C
Please Note: This is a temporary position for approximately 14-16 weeks at 30 hours per week.
Job Summary:** PCI seeks a dynamic and passionate short-term Technical Advisor for our WE Gender Integration program. S/he will support PCI’s gender equity integration strategy for the Women Empowered Initiative. PCI is committed to ensuring that the WE Initiative is gender transformative by ensuring that men and women, including youth, are meaningfully engaged and included to achieve maximum sustainable impact of the Initiative. In support of this endeavor, this temporary employee will develop and pilot a WE male engagement strategy targeted for WE’s southern Africa programming. Additionally, he/she will review the WE manual and methodology, strategize how gender can be more thoughtfully integrated in the methodology, and develop a gender equity module to be integrated into the WE manual which is employed globally.
PCI’s Women Empowered (WE) Initiative is a global initiative dedicated to the social and economic empowerment of women through the formation and of self-managed and self-sustaining savings groups. WE employs a version of the Village Savings and Loan (VSL) methodology that focuses on social and human capital advancements, particularly for women. WE supplements the traditional VSL methodologies by emphasizing social discussions, rotational leadership, and community action. While individual and group savings reduce household vulnerability, increases in social support from cohesion are key life-changing outcomes that stem directly from participation in a group endeavor.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Working closely with Women Empowered Initiative Team, and under the overall guidance of the Gender Technical Advisor in PCI’s DC Office, the Technical Advisor, WE Gender Integration will be responsible for the following:
- Review of WE manual and methodology and propose changes to ensure gender equity is integrated throughout the manual and methodology.
- Work with the WE team to develop a gender module to be integrated into the WE manual.
- Rollout training on the new module with the Njira WE team in Malawi.
- Based off of the pilot rollout of the gender module in Malawi, revise and finalize for inclusion of the WE manual.
- Review the draft proposed male engagement strategy outline developed for Latin America and propose a strategy for adapting the outline and overall strategy for Africa.
- Develop and refine a pilot WE male engagement strategy based off of promising practices globally, including CARE and IRC’s EA$E Model.
- Develop an accompanying Male Engagement Strategy Training of Trainers (TOT) curriculum.
- Lead the inaugural TOT training with the WE team on-site in PCI Malawi’s Njira project, in close collaboration with the WE Associate Technical Advisor and Njira Gender Advisor, both based in Malawi.
- Based off of pilot TOT and field test, revise and refine both the Male Engagement Strategy and TOT for roll-out to other projects, including an executive summary.
- Other duties as assigned
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Duration: 14-16 weeks, 30 hours/week
Based in Washington, DC with possible travel to MalawiRequired Skills
Master’s Degree or PhD with focus on international development, protection, gender, economic empowerment, and/or humanitarian assistance or related discipline.
Demonstrated experience working in gender, including male engagement for gender equality and the social and economic empowerment of women.
Experience in developing and leading participatory trainings that utilize adult learning techniques and principles.
Knowledge of Village Savings and Loan (VSL) methodology and principles.
Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
Strong poise and professionalism in dealing with PCI partners, such as local government officials, international NGOs, UN Agencies, and international donors.
Excellent writing and research skills, with strong ability to communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing.
Excellent organizational and coordination skills, detail-oriented, including ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks independently.
Ability to take initiative, solve problems, anticipate actions, and to use creative means to complete tasks.
Ability to work as an integral part of a team, taking guidance and input from a variety of staff.
Strong time-management skills and ability to work to deadlines.
Outgoing, “get it done” personality and sense of humor.
A passion for the mission and values of PCI
- Organization: Project Concern
- Location: Washington D.C | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2016-06-30