Project Manager- Adolescent Girls’ Advocacy and Economic Empowerment Project
Nairobi | Nairobi
The Project Manager will report to the Program Manager- General with dotted lines to the Area Manager. S/he will work collaboratively with the respective Program Implementation Managers in each of the project sites. S/he supervises a team of 2 project staff based in Kisumu, and Nairobi and will have project oversight of all other contributing staff on this project. S/he will uphold Plan's Core Values, promote our mission and vision, programme principals (transparency, gender equity and diversity), to enhance programme impact. Ensure modelling of Plan’s values among all project staff.
The incumbent will have good understanding of the interface between urban and rural Child Protection programming especially on issues around Gender Based Violence and disability inclusion. Ability to manage an advocacy Project based different thematic component around Child Protection highly desirable. Additionally the incumbent will have good understanding of economic and social well-being of adolescent girls and young women in Kenya and efforts to increase income, improve control over income, build economic skills, and provide safe and supportive social networks against GBV related to ending child marriage, child trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation of children
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
Key Result Areas:
· Planning and implementation of project activities, oversees programme in line with the approved logframe and DIP, compliance with design methodologies and approaches.
· Monitoring progress and quality together with M&E team.
· Budget management; monitor expenditure against approved budget and revisit plans to ensure budget performance is in-line with regulations as well as expected deliverables.
· Ensure compliance with donor requirements and regulations.
· Support the project team and ensure effective people management ensuring welfare, contract, compliance, and performance appraisal
· Timely preparation and submission of accurate project reports.
· Smooth/ efficient project performance and effective management of and communication with project team.
· Contribution to proposal development inclusive of evidence-base/learning within project, technical expertise, field-based data collection for design, communication/liaison with relevant stakeholders/partners.
- Profile Plan work through his/her involvement in relevant cluster meetings and for a at the County level
· Work in close collaboration and coordination with:
· Other Plan Project Managers
· Technical Support Team and Program Managers
· Designated Project Accountant
· Finance, Procurement, and Administration
· Kenya Country Office M&E
· Business development team.
· County/ Sub County Government, Administrators
· Government Technical Departments/Line Ministries
· Other INGOs, local NGOs, UN agencies and organizations implementing in the same geographic areas, program sectors, et.al.
· Implementation communities
Oversee & Coordinate Project Implementation (40%)
· Ensure that interventions are planned and implemented for maximum impact, synergy and cost-effectiveness.
· Establish targets by interventions and areas
· Ensure compliance with established targets and quality of project outputs.
· Ensure proper management of project database, records, files
· Oversee any contractual partner deliverables and ensure deliverables are met in timely manner and with high quality. Serve as the main point of communication for implementing partners on her/his project in close collaboration with Finance.
· Submit accurate project reports on time according to country office and donor regulations.
· Manage overall partner/s implementation of the project cycle.
Manage Project Resources (20%)
· Prepare a breakdown of project budget by interventions
· Monitor expenditures by interventions and ensure compliance with approved budget.
· Review expenditure reports on a monthly basis.
· Ensure timely budget adjustments and revisions in compliance with donor regulations.
· Ensure compliance with country office and donor policies, contracts, and agreements.
Build and maintain stakeholder relations (10%)
· Coordinate with relevant Plan staff in sensitizing county and sub-county level government authorities about project activities, beneficiary selection criteria and policy and procedure of project implementation.
· Ensure that project strategies are robust and in line with Plan Kenya Country Strategic Plan, and shared with all stakeholders.
· Promote effective working relations with county and sub-county stakeholders
· If necessary, liaise with donor desk officer and National Office (NO) programme staff.
· Motivate the communities and local government officials to contribute and participate in implementation of project activities. Attend periodic project-related meetings in the area of operations and brief supervisor. Coordinate with other NGOs, UN/donor agencies, and private sector players working within the operational areas to avoid duplication of efforts.
· Coordinate with other Project Managers and other internal stakeholders on resource allocation/mobilization and information and ensure that appropriate synergies with others are achieved as it relates to implementation of multiple projects in the same geographic.
Human Resources Management (10%)
· Ensure that project staffs know their roles and responsibilities.
· Communicate /share work plans with all players.
· Conduct staff performance appraisals regularly.
· Coach and mentor direct reports to enhance their skills for current and higher positions.
· Continuously engage project staff in overall project objectives, implementation strategy, reporting system and internal controls, inter alia.
· Ensure that staff welfare issues are communicated through appropriate HR and management structures as well as maintain a good feedback mechanism.
· Handle grievances and participate in disciplinary hearings as relevant.
Design, Monitoring & Evaluation and Reporting (20%)
· Establish proper data collection, consolidation and reporting mechanisms at county and sub county level.
· Consolidate project reports and analyse results.
· Review and analyse monitoring and evaluation data and recommend adjustments to design as needed.
· Ensure that approved reports are synthesised and disseminated among stakeholders.
· Support design of new programmes based on evidence from project, context in the area of implementation and/or technical expertise.
· Liaise with program team to ensure learning is available to the wider organization and outside as relevant. (including development of case studies, documentaries, stories etc)
· Support effective documentation of project outcomes
The incumbent makes both programmed and non-programmed decisions that include.
· Decides on resource allocation within approved budget parameters.
· Decides on project priorities within approved project work plan.
· Decides on what skills are required to execute project stages within approved project proposal.
· Decides on schedule for internal project field visits/monitoring visits; locations for donor and stakeholder visits with appropriate approvals.
Pressure of Work
· Regularly makes decisions on relationship, personnel and resource management. Pressures related to high targets, complex programming environment and necessity of high quality deliverables exist. Seasonality and other environmental conditions may at times affect work pressure and need to be mitigated.
Consequences of error
· Significant mismanagement exposes Plan to reputational risk as well as potential financial risk if resources are not used wisely. Similarly, poor personnel management practices can lead to staff dissatisfaction and adversely affect performance.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviours, and Experience Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Educational Qualification & Experience
· Degree in management related issues; community development or other equivalent plus post graduate qualifications desirable in a relevant professional discipline.
· 7 years relevant experience in Advocacy/community development/child protection/education/gender work, with minimum of 4 years at a supervisory/ managerial level.
· Private sector partnership experience is desirable
· Thorough knowledge of programming processes, systems and principles, and the ability to provide leadership and support to staff working at community level.
· Sound understanding of Advocacy Programming around Adolescent Girls’ Advocacy and Economic Empowerment, and critical analysis of Gender and GBV issues related to ending child marriage, child trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation of children.
· Knowledge of development issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and implications to community development.
· Demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning processes.
Skills Specific to the Post
· Analytical and conceptual skills
· Good Interpersonal / Communication skills
· Report writing skills
· Results orientated
· Good Leadership skills
· Teamwork and Cooperation
· Motivation and Innovation
· Relevant computer skills
· Budget and Cost Control
· Risk management
· Monitoring and Evaluation skills
Believe in the potential of all people to succeed if given the right support and willingness to multi-task. Ability to perform under stress, innovative, build relationships, coach and mentor, facilitate change, develop teams, initiate action, strategic decision making, planning and organizing. Lead through vision and mission and a personal commitment to children’s development and protection.
Leadership Attitudes and Behaviours
· Supports learning in diverse teams
· Positively promotes team effort and high performance by all staff through shared successes
· Acts with high degree of integrity and professionalism
· Relates to people in a friendly, open manner and engenders trust from other staff
· Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
· Dynamic, highly motivated and balances future vision with practical delivery
· Can reach out and influence large groups of people
· Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
· Promotes innovation and learning
· Pleasant and polite attitude at all times; ability to reflect professional standards
· Ability to act as part of multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.
Commitment to Plan International Kenya’s values:
Physical Environment and Demands: Ability to travel 60% of the time.
Level of Contact with Children:
Medium contact: Occasional interaction with children
The position will be based in Nairobi with frequent travel to Kisumu Program Unit. Level of contact with children will be occasional.
If you meet the requirements of the above position, please visit http://plan-international-kenya.org/jobs/ to access the full job description and make an online application. The closing date of applications is 6th May 2016. This position is open to Nationals Only.
- Organization: Plan International
- Location: Nairobi | Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2016-05-06