Site Management Support (SMS) Officer – national contract
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the supervision of the SMS Manager, the SMS Officer has responsibility for supporting the development and implementation of all DRC activities in the emergency reception sites in DRC’s area of responsibility, and providing liaison with local authorities and other humanitarian actors to ensure a meaningful and coordinated intervention. The SMS Officer will ensure a high quality, integrated approach to site management support, including oversight of site operations, shelter interventions, NFI and food distributions, community mobilization and general protection activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Support coordination efforts and monitoring of activities and services provision on the emergency reception sites in DRC’s AoR, to avoid duplication and identify gaps
- Proactively refer any identified gaps to relevant forums and support advocacy to relevant authorities or humanitarian actors for additional support
- Develop and maintain extensive contacts with the local authorities as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors
- Contribute to maintaining and strengthening synergies between DRC staff/volunteers and activities in different areas of intervention
- Contribute to ensuring adequate staffing is in place for the efficient implementation of DRC’s activities; actively liaise with the DRC Volunteers Coordinator for ad-hoc mobilization of additional manpower for specific activities if/as necessary
- Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites
- Support smooth functioning in the production and dissemination of various communications tools for the persons of concern, based on agreed key messages
- As necessary, oversee the work of project contractors, including translators, script writers, graphic artists or other contributors to guarantee quality and accuracy of communication materials produced and disseminated
- Continuously advocate for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors
- Support in organizing and coordinating needs assessments as required
- Contribute to program standardization and sharing of experiences, lessons learned, and good practices to inform future interventions
- Coordinate data collection and support drafting relevant SMS information products, e.g. site reports/profiles, 4Ws, briefing notes
- Represent DRC in coordination meetings or SMS working groups as required
- Ensure that activities/projects are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements
- Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary; ensure the use of qualitative and quantitative indicators and prepare accurate and timely reports on project progress
- University degree in a relevant field
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
- At least three years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
- The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
- Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
- Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
- Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
- Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
The position will be based in Thessaloniki (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on 8th of May.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Thessaloníki
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-05-08