South Syria Programs Manager - Jordan
Amman | Amman
PROGRAM DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:
As Mercy Corps seeks to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression around the world we recognize that instances of sudden change within a country or region, such as the events currently sweeping across the Middle East and North Africa, are rare moments of opportunity. Mercy Corps responds to and is well placed to continue its support to the Syrian crisis across the region. Mercy Corps’ Syria portfolio responds to the Syrian crisis by addressing a large array of needs and gaps including food, WASH, NFI and livelihood activities through various improvised approaches to include partnership.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Programs Manager will play an integral role in the implementation of Mercy Corps’ programs in South Syria. S/he is an innovative and visionary leader responsible for resourcefully directing, strategizing and planning all program implementation in relation to sectors including Food, WASH, NFI, child protection and livelihood activities to be carried out through local partners and other modalities. S/he will oversee the implementation phase of programming to include developing relationships with stakeholders, looking for the most effective ways to remote design, implement and monitor programs. S/he will be responsible for the overall internal coordination between programs currently being implemented in response to the Syria crisis and the Amman base.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy and Vision
- Work with the South and Central Syria Director and other team members to maximize Mercy Corps’ reach and impact in South Syria, working from Amman;
- Support the Syria Director in country level strategic planning and in the development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and administration of humanitarian relief and development projects in line with the country program strategy, with a specific focus on our work in the southern governorates of Syria;
- Ensure that evidence-based results are clearly documented and communicated, and that annual planning documents adequately reflect an evidence-based, iterative strategic path;
- Prioritize, and contribute to the preparation of, concept papers, proposals, and other funding opportunities for new projects/ programs. This will often include working as the lead writer on such efforts;
- Assist the Program Development team in identifying opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment, inclusion and participation to facilitate response;
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development;
- Bring innovation into program implementation, ensuring diversity of modalities and promoting market-based approaches and use of technology, wherever local and security conditions permit;
- Support senior management in developing the strategic direction of the overall humanitarian response to the Syrian crisis, by providing specific insights into the situation in south Syria.
Program Operations and Management
- Lead project planning processes, ensuring that all projects/programs have a clear and achievable design, integrating innovations where appropriate, fully comply with PM@MC standards;
- Lead, supervise and manage Program Coordinators, ensuring that projects: follow sound planning processes; have high performing teams, with good performance management processes; focus on detail, quality, and results; have strong monitoring & evaluation frameworks; deploy cutting-edge technical approaches; and, that good participatory methods and stakeholder management approaches are used.
- Ensure that projects/programs receive adequate technical inputs by: keeping projects/programs technically focused and iterative, yet responsive to emerging opportunities and trends; identifying and organizing trainings and exposure visits; encouraging self-directed learning; and, facilitating cross-learning and information sharing;
- Develop and oversee program implementation, including contracting frameworks, beneficiary targeting, reporting and capacity building as needed;
- In coordination with the Information Management team, initiate needs assessments, surveys and other data gathering tools to ensure that Mercy Corps has continued access to updated information and is able to address emerging needs in timely manner;
- Establish and maintain coordination channels with the Amman office and Mercy Corps’ stakeholders such as the regional office, and whole of Syria programming, including purposeful approach to ensure coordinated programming and initiatives;
- Coordinate with colleagues in support functions including the Humanitarian Access Team and the Information Management team to ensure the best contextual analysis informs Mercy Corps’ strategic decision making for south Syria.
- In conjunction with the Information Management team, explore and develop new and tailored monitoring mechanisms for south Syria.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Management team, helping to formulate human resource management policies and strategies;
- Support Project/Program Managers/Program Coordinators in their efforts to manage strong project/program teams;
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and training of key project/ program staff, and other staff as requested by the South and Central Syria Director;
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps’ regional and Syria team members as required;
- Help to facilitate team coordination and capacity building opportunities and events as required.
- Facilitate and maintain effective partnership strategies and strategic working relationships;
- Support the South and Central Syria Director in maintaining a clear, unified communications approach for the country program;
- Work with the Syria Director to represent Mercy Corps South and Central Syria’s programs, projects, and strategies with donors, potential donors, colleague agencies, host government officials, partners, and with formal and informal coordinating bodies;
- In coordination with Senior Management Team, develop and negotiate Memorandum of Understanding agreements and budgets with donors, local partners and INGOs.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Supervise a team of national staff.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: South and Central Syria Director.
WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Syria Director, Regional Programs Team, whole of Syria Program Managers, HAT Team, South and Central Syria Director, Program Director, Program Coordinators, Finance and Compliance Manager, Program Development and Quality Advisor, Partner Agencies, as well as Mercy Corps headquarters and TSU members.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA or equivalent in in international development, economics, agriculture, disaster management, political or social science, management or other relevant field; MA is preferred
- 5-7 years of field experience in project/program management positions is preferred;
- Prior experience in Middle East is preferred;
- Demonstrated technical understanding of at least some of the following sectors: food security & nutrition, WASH, shelter & NFI, emergency humanitarian response in insecure and complex conflicts;
- Demonstrated understanding of sound project management practices and protocols;
- Excellent program conceptualization and development capacities, including the ability to convey these ideas convincingly in writing;
- A high level of personal efficiency, and the ability to balance multiple urgent or important tasks without undue stress;
- English proficiency is required, as well as excellent written and oral skills. Spoken or written Arabic is preferred;
- Strong representation and presentation skills;
- Ability to maintain a consistent field orientation and performance orientation.
The successful Programs Manager will combine sound program management and human resource management skills with a high level of efficiency, a creative and rigorous approach to program development, a consistent field orientation, good donor and external stakeholder representation skills, and the cultural/management sensitivity to hold a supervisory role.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
This position is based in Amman, Jordan. The location is accompanied. Independent staff housing is provided and there is access to good medical services. Water and electricity are present with frequent cuts. Though currently secure in Amman, all security guidelines and protocols must be closely followed at all times.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Apply at: www.mercycorps.org/careers
Click on "European and International Careers" > Search by Region.
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Amman | Amman
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-06-03