Beledweyne | Mogadishu
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Programme Assistant
Vacancy No : SVN/IOMSO/040/2016 Station Duty : Beledweyne - Hiraan Region, Somalia (with frequent travel to other parts of Somalia)
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G5/01 (Third Party Contract) Type of Appointment : 6 months with a possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : May 4th, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the leading humanitarian as well as developmental actors in Somalia with extensive experience and technical expertise in assisting vulnerable migrants, mobile populations and affected host communities through developmental sectors strengthening as well as preparedness and responses to various humanitarian emergencies in highly complex and challenging environments.
As of April 2016, IOM’s Migration Health Division (MHD) as well as Preparedness and Response Division (PRD)*, in close coordination and collaboration with stakeholders including the governments, is implementing a total of 18 projects serving over 300,000 vulnerable populations annually in 17 project locations throughout Somalia, Somaliland, Puntland, Jubaland and other regional states.
In this context, under the overall supervision of Chief of Mission, under the direct supervision of WASH Project Manager, in close collaboration and consultation with internal and external partners, the incumbent will be responsible for supporting IOM projects in the responsible areas of Hiraan region, coordinating and liaising with local authorities, NGOs, UN, and conducting monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the project activities.
*PRD consists of a total of 7 sub-units/programmes: Migration Health Assessments and Travel Health Assistance (H1); Migration Health Assistance for Crisis-Affected Populations (H3); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH); Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS); Shelter and Non-food Items (NFIs); Food Security; and Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM). Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Closely coordinate with the local authority, clarifying plans and implementation status as well as technical issues that may need to be addressed as well as in representation of IOM in regional cluster coordination meetings (WASH, Health, Food Security, and DTM) with UN agencies and NGOs.
- Assist supervision, monitoring and evaluation of WASH, Health and DTM implementing partners in consultation with the MHD and PRD team, including drafting the partnership agreements, coordinating with IOM projects in Hiiraan region, on funding disbursements, assisting in collection of the narrative and financial reports related to conducted activities from the local implementing partners as per IOM and donor guidelines keeping in mind the work plan and expected outputs.
- In consultation with the MHD and PRD in particular WASH team in Nairobi, Mogadishu based team, and health program officer, support implementation of IOM WASH and Health interventions in Hiraan region through consultation with all stakeholders, identifying the gaps and challenges.
- Support implementing partners in the implementation and monitoring of project and activities in close collaboration with relevant local authorities.
- Undertake regular field visits to monitor and review the performance implementing partners along with their work plan.
- Support monitor MHD and PRS projects in Hiraan region through physical verification and reports from and meetings with implementing partners. Identify challenges in implementation. If any, suggest corrective measures to be taken and consult with the wash technical team and health program officer.
- Follow up timely disbursements of funding to implementing partners as per the agreements and control utilization against budget; if necessary, initiate procurement of goods and services for activities in accordance with the IOM procurement guidelines.
- Support compile progress of project activities for internal and external reports of IOM, clarifying outputs, achievements, challenges, corrective measures taken as well as future plans.
- Assist Project Manager in periodical communication with the donor as well as the media, taking due consideration of security contexts of Somalia, and actively seek for potential funding opportunities in coordination with PDIU.
- Support logistics and administration when IOM staffs come to visit Gedo region.
- Ensure all mandatory steps, as stipulated by UNDSS, are complied with before undertaking any field visits.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education 1. Diploma in Water Engineering, Public Health or related field. Degree in administration or a related field will be an asset. 2. Good knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet applications, knowledge of SPSS, is an asset
Experience 1. A minimum of four years of experience working in WASH and/or health issues in emergency, community development, or related field in repetitive aid organization in Somalia or with Somali migrants and mobile populations, preferably in Hiraan region. 2. Experience in administrating large amount of funding. 3. Experience in liaising with government and local authorities particular in Gedo is asset. 4. Experience in monitoring and evaluation of project performance 5. Qualitative study as asset. Languages
Fluency in English and Somali is required
Behavioural • Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; • Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others. • Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; • Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter • Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation. • Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Other Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 4th May, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 21.04.2016 to 04.05.2016
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Beledweyne | Mogadishu
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Development Cooperation
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-05-04