Economic Development Specialist
Erbil | Baghdad
Overview and purpose of consultancy
WV Kurdish Region in Iraq (KRI) aims to invest in economic development programming to improve HH level resilience through livelihoods. WV KRI is seeking market based economic development programming. While WV KRI has some programming in youth empowerment and trainings, WV is seeking a better generative, not distributive technical approach to creating jobs in a struggling economic climate.
This position will serve as WVKRI’s Economic Development Point Person to envision and being WV KRI’s economic development programme. This person will lead identification and design of new projects and advisor and manager of all economic development programming. They will also serve as the main representative for WVKRI in the Economic Development sector for external donors and partners, providing complex consultative support for operational and technical work in all ED programs during project cycle management for programs/projects.
The specialist works across all field offices (i.e. wherever sector projects are implemented) as well as working closely with the Programmes unit to ensure field activities are correctly and efficiently aligned to WVI KRI strategic objectives.
· Research, Analyze & identify the livelihood/business development options displaced & vulnerable populations in KRI
· Explore synergies between economic development and other sectors including Youth Empowerment, Social Cohesion, and Cash for Work with a particular focus on new business creation and spurring new job creation.
· Explore mutually advantageous and public-private partnerships between private and business entities
· Develop a practical economic development strategy for the creation of jobs (which focuses on new job creation not simply training & job placement)
· Capture secondary or primary evidence of effectiveness of particular economic development approaches
· Ensure the development of new ED projects in line with the sector strategic direction
Partnership and Programming in ED
· Research and create a design for job creation in
· Represent WV KRI in national and international donors, partners, communities and beneficiaries in the field of economic development
· Coordinate with Programmes Team in fundraising, identifying possible funding opportunities, new project design, etc
· Provide technical/sector support to new and existing ED projects
· Regularly update the WV KRI team on changes and adjustments in the area of ED (reforms, laws, policies etc.) in WV, KRI, and Iraq
Assessment, Design, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Working closely with the Programmes and DMEA Department in to order to properly analyze the findings/needs and reflect them into analytical documents for further usage
· Pay sector specific monitoring and evaluation field visits
· Drafting sector specific M&E reports
· Support new project & proposal development by lead technical approach portion
End of Assignment Report and key findings/recommendations
Submit the end of assignment report with key findings and recommendations as well as a clear project design for future economic development projects
The consultant should be able to prove their expertise and experience for the proposed, including:
- At least five years proven professional experience in developing, implementing and monitoring economic development initiatives, i.e. small business development, community savings groups, sustainable development, etc. - Venture capital or entrepreneurial background preferred. Experience with NGOs, International Development, and Government economic policy a plus.
Planning, budgeting and research experience in the development of new projects;
Demonstrated expertise/background in economics and/or development
Interested persons should send their proposals to e-mail of WVI KRI: firstname.lastname@example.org , no later than 5pm Iraq local time on May 7, 2016, describing:
· Relevant experiences, including a CV
· Detail proposed work plan
· Quotation relevant for the objective
· Scope of the assignment
. Reports from similar previous assignments if available
- Organization: World Vision
- Location: Erbil | Baghdad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-05-07