Regional Media and Communications Officer
Pretoria | Johannesburg
Position Title : Regional Media and Communications Officer
Duty Station : Pretoria, South Africa
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 May 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director in the Regional Office (RO) in Pretoria, in collaboration with the Head of the Media and Communications Division in Geneva, the successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to the formulation and implementation of communications strategies to promote IOM’ programmes and policies and raise awareness of migration issues throughout the region of Southern Africa.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Take a planned, strategic approach to achieving IOM visibility across the region and globally via communication activities and campaigns by optimizing outreach via media, social media and other mediated tools.
Suggest and coordinate regional activities and plans of communication that highlight the value of migration and contributions of migrants to countries of origin, transit and destination; help change negative perceptions of migration.
Support IOM Country Missions in the region in bringing forward national communication strategies in order to achieve their objectives and position IOM with key local audiences and enablers among government, civil society, partners and the general public.
Gather, prepare, edit and disseminate public information materials on IOM activities throughout the region, both in writing and verbally in English, French, and Portuguese.
Write, edit and produce public information material for IOMs weekly press briefing notes, website and social media in English, French and Portuguese.
Advise IOM Chiefs of Mission, media focal points and other staff in the region in a timely manner on media, public information, social media, and event management and visibility issues.
Produce a strong stream of content in the form of human interest stories from the field, photographs and video clips for an international audience.
Ensure timely and efficient publication and distribution of media content via social media, on the global website iom.int, RO Pretoria website and via other IOM media channels, websites etc.
Process English, French and Portuguese media enquiries being received and be available for interview on print, radio and television.
Provide detailed ongoing guidance and talking points as requested to colleagues in the RO, country offices and headquarters (HQs) regarding ongoing media requests and interview opportunities.
Build the media and communications (M&C) skills of missions in the region through training and support in the recruitment of qualified M&C staff.
Develop and strengthen links with international and national media outlets in the region to promote a deeper understanding and appreciation of IOMs programmes and policies
Initiate and manage M&C outreach events designed to raise IOMs visibility in the region. Represent IOM at events that contribute to the Organizations visibility.
Collaborate with media counterparts in governmental and governmental partner agencies. Participate in South based national and regional UN communications groups. This is important, should probably go higher.
Promote IOMs Communications with Communities strategy and its Community Response
Map feedback platform to IOM missions and partner agencies.
- Provide support/cover to the HQs and Africa Region Media and Communications Division
(MCD) units, as required, particularly during leave and TDY periods.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Masters degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Writing and editing experience in international journalism and public information, preferably in
• Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production;
• Familiarity with international organizations;
• Advanced linguistic abilities (including writing and editing) in English, Portuguese and French;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as strategic and creative thinking;
• Ability to guide and supervise staff and coordinate administrative matters.
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 02 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 19.04.2016 to 02.05.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/88 (P) - Regional Media&Communications Pretoria,SouthAfrica
Posting: Posting NC54787528 (54787528) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Pretoria | Johannesburg
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-05-02