Head of Office
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Being operational in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in South Central. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH and Shelter.
The Iraq programme presently employs about 420 national staff and 45 international staff, but is expanding in response to the current needs through funding from various donors.
About the job
The Head of Office has the overall responsibility for timely and quality implementation of the DRC’s operations in the Erbil and Kirkuk (and, in future, possibly Salah al-Din) area of responsibility (AoR). This includes the hands-on management of administrative and programmatic functions within the Erbil and Kirkuk AoR. The Erbil and Kirkuk head of office is a member of DRC’s senior management team (SMT).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent DRC before relevant donors, local authorities and coordination bodies in the Erbil and Kirkuk AOR.
- Manage project managers to ensure that project cycle management is carefully applied (needs assessment, planning, resources allocation, beneficiary selection, monitoring, reporting and evaluation) within the AoR.
- Analyse the specific local humanitarian context, needs, gaps and constraints and anticipate forthcoming movements and displacement-related trends, recommending appropriate adjustments to programme activities.
- Monitor the progress of projects against work plans and provide appropriate support to project managers and staff to ensure that work plans are adjusted, as needed, and targets are met.
- Ensure that M&E practices and tools are applied in all projects, in coordination with the Erbil-based M&E Coordinator.
- Supervise administration and finance functions and ensure full application of policies in the AoR, in coordination with the Erbil-based head of finance and administration (HoFA).
- Ensure that staff recruitment and evaluation is fair and transparent and done according to DRC procedures, in consultation with the human resources manager in Erbil.
- Monitor staff performance and conduct to ensure compliance with job requirements and DRC policies and values (including Code of Conduct).
- Supervise expenditure against budgets, in coordination with DRC’s Erbil and Kirkuk finance and administration unit.
- Supervise the effective implementation of logistics and procurement functions according to DRC and donor guidelines and requirements, in coordination the head of logistics and procurement (HLP) in Erbil.
- Monitor the security of DRC staff, assets and operations on the Erbil and Kirkuk AOR, in coordination with the Safety Advisor and senior country management in Erbil.
- Carry out other activities as requested by the Country Director or designate.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree (masters preferred) in relevant field (e.g., development, social research, Middle East studies).
- At least 6 years of management experience administering humanitarian multi-sector and multi-donor programs in fragile environments, preferably including the Middle East.
- Strong understanding of and experience with financial management of multiple grants and and with competitive procurement procedures.
- Experience in dealing with, and building the capacity of, governmental authorities and local NGO actors.
- Capacity to properly manage the project cycle (undertaking assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and documenting ones results) with monitoring-focused skills.
- Experience in managing staff safety and programme security in insecure environments.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; Kurdish or Arabic language skills preferred.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 2 years contract. You must be available to start work from latest mid-June 2016 and be willing and able to work in Erbil, Iraq.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A 9 of DRC’s new salary scale. R&R cycle is every 12 weeks.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 30 April 2016.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-05-11