Consultant - Mother Care Group Assessment in Northern Karaoja - Uganda
Karamoja | Kampala
Consultancy Title: Mother Care Group Assessment in Northern Karamoja
Duty Station: Karamoja, Uganda, with some time also in Kampala and remote (home of record)
Duration: 77 days during June, July, August 2016, or thereabout
Mercy Corps has been operational in Uganda since 2006 with a strong presence in Karamoja and Acholi regions. In Uganda, Mercy Corps works to catalyze change makers within the private sector, civil society and government to create economically dynamic, healthy and secure communities. Our works focus on building resilience and enabling economic growth, improving opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improving governance and conflict management.
The USAID funded five year Growth Health and Governance (GHG) is one of the flagship programs implemented by Mercy Corps in the East and Southern Africa Region. With an initial focus in three districts of northern Karamoja, the program has now expanded to the additional districts in Karamoja. GHG works to improve livelihoods and economic development by building a strong private sector providing key products and services to poor communities, along with a governance voice for the sub-region’s growing small businesses; reduce undernutrition by improving community health practices and strengthening health system performance; and improve peace and security in the region by strengthening the capacity of conflict management actors and increasing the representation of marginalized groups in governance forums.
GHG’s Maternal and Child Health (MCHN) activities work to improve child underweight and stunting prevalence, underweight prevalence of women of reproductive age and dietary diversity practices amongst women and children < 5years (with emphasis on pregnant and lactating women and children < 2 years). In order to achieve all program objectives, Mercy Corps seeks to empower women by increasing their access and control over resources that can help them make a positive change for improve nutrition and food security.
Mother Care Groups (MCGs) are one of the intervention platforms being used to promote behavior change and uptake of key MNCH and nutrition practices in three districts (Kotido, Kaabong and Abim). GHG is completing a fourth training module with its (MCGs) and wants to assess the knowledge gained and behaviors changed to date, in order to draw lessons learned, refine best practices, and identify priorities for the coming year in response to any knowledge or behavior gaps identified. This assessment will evaluate 112 MCGs in the Districts of Abim, Kotido and Kaabong, producing a “report card” for each MCG.
The consultant will conduct the following activities:
- Develop a draft assessment plan, including schedule and assessment tool(s), based on the content of Modules 1 – 4. Mercy Corps will provide the module content and review/approve the assessment plan which may require revisions. (5 days)
- Test and finalize the assessment tool(s) in northern Uganda. (5 days)
- Conduct the assessments. MC will provide a translator, car and driver. (56 days)
- Provide a draft report to MC that includes a summary of findings, lessons learned, best practices identified, recommendations, and MCG-specific score cards. (5 days)
- Present the findings and recommendations to GHG management and USAID. (2 days)
- Finalize the report (4 days)
The consultant will deliver the following products:
- Draft and final assessment plan
- Assessment Tool(s)
- Raw data for each MCG (electronic and hardcopy)
- Draft and final report
- Powerpoint presentation of findings/recommendations
Timeframe / Schedule: The total Level of Effort is estimated to be 77 days.
The consultant will report to:
- GHG Chief of Party
The consultant will work closely with:
- GHG MCHN Manager
- World Vision MCHN staff
- Experience with MCHN MCG programming in Africa
- Experience conducting assessments and managing large data sets
- Master degree in public health or other relevant field
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated skill in managing teams and programs of work
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent ability to work in English, including reading, writing and verbal communication
Click on "Consultancies"
Search by Location
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Karamoja | Kampala
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2016-04-29