Cold Chain Logistics Advisor
Juba | Juba
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY
Assignment: Cold Chain Logistics Advisor
Location: Juba (with frequent visits to the State and Counties).
Duration: 11 Months
Reporting to: Immunization Manager, UNICEF South Sudan
Type of contract: Individual contract
Start Date: 1st June**,** 2016
End Date: 30 May, 2017
BACKGROUND AND JUSTIFICATION
The institutional capacity at the Ministry of Health EPI Management Unit and decentralized levels of service management and delivery is still evolving, and requires an extended period of training, coaching and further development.
Due to poor infrastructure, the delivery of vaccines to state capitals (8/10) and hard to reach counties in three conflicts states is done using charter flights with support from UNICEF. This requires coordination with partners to get information on status of airstrips send them delivery flight schedule in hard to reach counties.
Other than National level and a few states, vaccine and injection material inventories are not reported on monthly basis. This has resulted into some states making orders when stock balance is zero. There is still no consistency in reporting of recorded utilization and wastage rates for vaccines and injection materials. Temperature records review not regularly done.
The provision of CCE is done according to punctual need instead of being implemented according to the distribution plan based on the national multiyear CC rehabilitation plan taking into account the priority health facilities and counties.
With only three staff at national level, the position of cold chain and logistic manager, cold chain technician and EPI stores manager have just been filled. At states and county level the recruitment of cold chain technicians is in process, requiring time for the new staffs to be on board at both levels and trained on their duty tasks to ensure good performance. In this process the need of a CCLA is evident to maintain the required level related to ISCM while the new staff are building their capacities.
The main objective of this CCLA is to strengthen the EPI supplies management systems and improve the vaccine management practices at National and state level to ensure that children and women have access to safe and potent vaccines both for routine and supplementary immunization interventions.
The monitoring of status of CCE at national, state and Health facilities level is on hand of UNICEF, thus have to be under control national EPI team under the guidance of the CCLA with update.
1. Purpose of TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
To strengthen the Ministry of Health EPI team related to Immunization Supply chain management (ISCM).
2. Approach to Technical Assistance
The staff recruited by UNICEF through GAVI - HSS funding will support the EPI team and work at MOH.
He will work closely with the UNICEF CCL team with the guidance of the Immunization manager and under the overall supervision of Chief of Health. He will be reporting to the Immunization manager.
3. Terms of Reference / Tasks
- Providing technical assistance in the processes of forecasting, procuring vaccines and all equipment necessary to the safe administration of vaccines.
- Monitoring arrival and plan storage of cold chain equipment, vaccines and supplies for EPI
- Providing vaccines arrival reports (VAR)
- Developing/improving capabilities of the state level in monitoring of theirs EPI supply stocks, forecasting needs for vaccines, injection materials and supplies and in planning the implementation of immunization operations.
- Making a distribution plan for CCE to state and supporting State to make their CCE distribution plan for counties and health facilities for the coming 5 years.
- Making a distribution plan for vaccines and supplies to state
· Providing technical support to the national and state level to improve their skills in relation to preparation of monthly status report of all vaccines/accessories and cold chain equipment.
· Develop a plan for reduction of vaccine loss rate
· Reviewing the State’s request for vaccines or devices and giving approval to NVS team to deliver
· Coordinating with states on backhauling of cold boxes and icepacks for consequent campaign
· Supporting the SMOHs in the management of the state Cold Chain Store including the dry store for other essential supplies and devices.
· Conducting training needs assessment at various levels on EPI stores management with emphasis on vaccine handling and support training activities at state, cold chain assistants and logistics assistants for SIAs and routine EPI.
· Provide technical assistance in CCL trainings
· Updating the cold chain equipment inventory
· Monthly reporting on CCL activities and presenting and sharing the update to TWG members and the Director of Primary Health Care.
· Contribution in the country reports or strategic documents related to CCL area
4. Expected delivErables
The staff will be expected to deliver the following deliverables:
· Forecast of vaccines, devices and CCE for 2017.
· Distribution plan for CCE to states and county according the country rehabilitation plan and the priorities of each county
· Plan for reduction of vaccine loss rate
· Monthly report on the stock of vaccines in each state
· Cold chain equipment inventory updated
· Update on the implementation of the rehabilitation plan
· Vaccine arrival report (VAR) submitted to Supply Division on time
· Monthly report on CCL activities shared to TGW team and the Director of Primary Health Care.
· End of assignment final report
How to Apply
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that they forward their applications (a cover letter, CV, and signed P11 form which can be downloaded at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc), quoting the consultancy’s title on or before 20/04/2016 to: Email address: email@example.com
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Juba | Juba
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2016-04-20