Office Manager - NRC USA
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council has established a representation office in Washington, DC to strengthen NRC engagement with our institutional donor partners in the US, and to deepen policy engagement with the US government through advocacy.
In support of this mission, Norwegian Refugee Council USA (NRC USA) is seeking an experienced Office Manager to be responsible for the organization and coordination of office operations, procedures, and resources to facilitate the effectiveness and efficiency of NRC USA.
Essential Job Functions
- Assume overall responsibility for the smooth functioning of a three-person office in accordance with NRC policies and procedures. Oversee and, if necessary, develop procedures and processes to assist the Director in efficient management of office resources (staff, finances and information and communication technology).
- Oversee the physical space of the office, order and organize equipment and office supplies.
- Serve as the primary liaison with external providers of benefits and business services to NRC USA, with periodic review to ensure cost-effectiveness
- Monitor the office budget and signal issues to the Director as needed. Ensure on-time reporting of financial data to the NRC head office in Oslo. In close collaboration with the Director, prepare the annual budget.
- Maintain open and effective communication with staff at NRC headquarters on administrative matters. Assist with the preparation of internal program documents as requested by the Director and/or the Institutional Partnership Adviser.
- Serve as the main administrative and logistical liaison with the NRC USA Board of Directors, including planning meetings, preparing minutes, scheduling events, and other related duties.
- Organize the orientation of new staff members and interns.
- On an exceptional basis, attend meetings of relevance to NRC USA activities and provide summaries of their content.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Five years of experience in a similar position
- Experience monitoring and reporting on budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree. Additional relevant training/education is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize diverse tasks, take initiative within areas of responsibility and raise issues to supervisor(s) as appropriate.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word and PowerPoint) and solid working knowledge of Excel for budget monitoring and reporting.
- Ability to communicate with clarity (orally and in writing), tact and cultural sensitivity.
Would be an asset
- Knowledge of humanitarian issues
- Proficiency in a second language
- Proficiency in accounting software, including Agresso and understanding of basic accounting principles.
- The employee is required to sit for long periods of time working on a computer turning out work accurately, within short timeframes under moderately stressful situations.The work will be undertaken in a somewhat noisy office with interruptions.The employee must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
- The duties of the job require regular office presence at least five days per week.From time to time, the employee may be asked to work outside normal office hours.
- Minimal travel may be required. The employee must be able to travel domestically and internationally, as required.
Norwegian Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates must hold permanent residency in the U.S
Deadline for Applications: 18.00 Eastern Standard Time, 1 May 2016
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-05-01