Business Development Manager
Washington D.C | Washington D.C
Looking for a change in the New Year and want to join a great team that enjoy working together and have great resources? These resources include support from partnering teams such as HR, Finance and Contracts. Join us and help us achieve our mission of closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health and so save lives and improve health of the world's poorest and most vulnerable people.
In this role you will play a key role in all aspects of new business acquisition at MSH through three key functions:
- Working with MSH's technical program units and field staff to position MSH to win new business. This responsibility includes capturing new business generally and for specific bids;
- Managing large, complex proposals in collaboration with MSH's technical program units, cost unit, HR and the field contributing to a highly competitive capture and win rate;
- Building capacity of MSH technical program units and field staff;
- Additionally, the Business Development Manager will have management responsibility for one or more junior staff members.
Management of the Proposal Process 60%
- Monitor and ensure responsiveness and compliance of proposals to the solicitation using compliance monitoring and review.
- Manage every aspect of the proposal development process, including ensuring the use of business development systems, processes and best practices to develop the most responsive and competitive proposals.
- Facilitate technical strategy development of senior level technical and country expert staff, including development of log frames and results frameworks.
- Reporting to the Technical Strategic Lead (TSL), facilitate development of a competitive proposal including win strategy, partner strategy and cost strategy.
- Develop, oversee and maintain the proposal calendar, in collaboration with and oversight of a proposal coordinator, and monitor adherence to the defined process and deadlines for technical proposals, rosters/recruiting, proposal budgets, production schedules and quality standards for proposals. Work with the TSL (and technical senior managers as required) to resolve issues with delays or other roadblocks in the proposal process.
- Monitor proposal costs and report to BRD leadership and the proposal team on potential cost overruns and cost savings with a view to finding cost savings and value for money where appropriate.
- With the TSL, identify potential partners. Lead negotiations of pre-teaming and teaming agreements scopes of work with local and international partners and ensure partner staffing inputs are compliant and competitive.
- Assist the TSL in coordination with Cost Proposal Unit staff to develop best-value cost strategies and ensure a unified strategy in both technical and cost proposals.
- Monitor and ensure staffing strategy alignment with Human Resource Management (HRM) Staff, Technical Managers and Director of BRD to meet staffing priorities.
- Work with proposed partners to be sure that they provide their required information as needed to support the proposal.
- Participate in, and/or lead, proposal writing as needed.
Strategic Planning and Positioning 25%
- In collaboration with MSH leadership, contribute to annual and multi-year business development strategies that leverage MSH capabilities to identify and win new business opportunities, contributing to financial sustainability across the organization.
- Within MSH's target technical, donor and geographic priorities, serve as a "positioning lead" to identify new business opportunities, ensure up to date donor knowledge, and manage geographic relationships with MSH staff, potential partners and consultants. This includes working collaboratively with designated BRD, technical program units, and field staff to develop and implement intelligence gathering and positioning strategies to strengthen MSH stature, credibility, and likelihood of winning new business.
- Responsible for managing and disseminating business intelligence and positioning information obtained from BRD, technical program units, and field office positioning teams, when assigned to a specific country or specific opportunity.
- Consider potential opportunities, intelligence and information from positioning efforts and prepare BRD's analysis for specific bid recommendations including internal and external resource needs.
- Assist BRD and technical program units' leadership to identify partnering opportunities and to establish new institutional partnerships and manage existing ones.
Home Office and Field Office Business Development Support and Professional Development 10%
- Support field-based business development activities and preparations for new and follow-on projects, including review of internal and external evaluations of projects. As required, provide direct support to development of field-based proposals.
- Foster, build and maintain MSH staff capacity in the US and in the field in development of new or expanded business opportunities for MSH. Develop and build business development skills of BRD staff and staff from technical program units and field offices as required.
- Supervise Senior Business Development Specialist, Business Development Specialists, and other BRD staff and interns as required, mentoring them to build business development and proposal writing skills.
Other duties as assigned.
Master's degree with 7+ years of related experience in public health, health care management, international development, or public policy, or equivalent experience in business development, including 2 years of supervisory experience.
Preference given to candidates with 5+ years working in business development; however a mix of other international development experience may be substituted.
Experience in managing the development of large and complex proposals to USG agencies and/or other international funders active in international development, preferably in international health.
Significant work experience with USG funding is required, including demonstrated experience with management of winning bids.
Experience in international public health preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage proposal processes and team relationships to ensure effective collaboration by various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units and at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent research, data analysis/synthesis, and presentation skills. Experience in organizing and managing and disseminating large and complex sets of business information.
- Experience managing junior level staff.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. A writing test, as well as submission of writing samples will be required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required.
- Fluency in French or Spanish is strongly preferred; fluency in Portuguese a plus.
- Two years of prior experience living and working in a developing country strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle the high stress environment of business development with grace and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate with partner organizations strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively.
- 20-30% Travel
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.
Check out this video to see eight employees describe what it's like to work at MSH! http://bit.ly/1IUT2Gp
Please upload your cover letter and resume as one Word or PDF document in the resume section of your application.
MSH is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national origin, age, veteran's status, or disability unrelated to job requirements.
Senior Business Development Manager
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Washington D.C | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- External Relations
- External Relations
- Closing Date: 2016-05-06