Snr Staff Dev Off (MLC)
Senior Staff Development Officer (Management, Leadership and Communication)
In the context of the professionalization of the UNHCR staff development function, the role of the post is to co-lead the shaping and promotion of a performance and learning culture in UNHCR by developing learning strategies and customized learning solutions, and by providing strategic guidance and decisions, especially in the context of advising on and determining business cases, requirements and learning approaches for tailored learning solutions for managers and leaders in UNHCR.
The incumbent of this position leads the work of the Management, Leadership and Communications (MLC) Unit with a primary responsibility for the conceptualization, design, development and delivery of related learning programmes for various levels of management. As well, s/he will be required to play a co-ordinating role in the design and roll out of multi-functional leadership programmes including the Certification Programme for Representatives and Cluster Co-ordination. The portfolio also includes topics such as Human Resources Management, fundraising, communication, innovation and languages
S/he is accountable for pro-actively supporting the learning culture in UNHCR by aligning effective learning with institutional goals. In addition, the incumbent provides internal consultancy services to managers and leaders in UNHCR as well as to other training and learning providers on the design, development, delivery and evaluation of learning activities all with a view to meet the operational and management needs of the Organisation.
The post requires the incumbent to work both internally with the Divisions and Bureaux at HQ and in coordination with regional and field offices and external partners concerning capacity building and awareness raising activities to ensure appropriate cross-linkages of all UNHCR learning and training programmes with a management/leadership component.
S/he is supervised by the Chief Learning Officer (P-5), who will provide overall direction and guidance in connection with the work of the GLC.
The incumbent manages a portfolio of relevant activities in the MLC Unit and supervises (1 P4, 1 NOB, 2 NOA and four locally recruited staff members whose performance s/he will monitor and whom s/he will guide and support in their day-to-day functions.
S/he will work with external service providers ¿ consultants, e-learning developers, printing and production companies etc. and be responsible for preparing requests for proposals for acquiring goods and services.
S/he establishes strong linkages with subject matter experts from other UN agencies and non-governmental agencies as necessary on various issues with regard to the development of learning programmes and the provision of training on specific issues.
- ML&C Units core activities support and are aligned with and contribute to the realization of UNHCR and GLC strategic priorities.
- UNHCR learning policy and programmes remain centred on providing staff and other beneficiaries¿ effective, well-planned, innovative learning opportunities.
- UNHCR has a comprehensive and effective suite of learning opportunities at all levels for management, leadership, communication and innovation that supports staff growth and career development.
- Learning activities are impactful and support the development of a performance-oriented and caring management and leadership culture, and as a result contribute to operational performance.
- Delegated cost centres in support of strategic and operational priorities are managed.
- Contribute to the formulation of strategies, policies, standards, procedures and guidelines geared at encouraging learning and knowledge sharing across UNHCR.
- Develop and update a MLC learning strategy.
- Responsible for the research and analysis of learning needs in the organisation in the area of Management, leadership, communications and innovation, as well as other assigned areas. Oversee and/or manage, design, develop, organize and facilitate related learning activities using a variety of methodologies (workshops, distance learning, e-learning and/or training courses).
- Oversee the implementation of all logistical arrangements relating to MLC training/learning activities.
- In collaboration with the GLC evaluation function, evaluate and assess the impact of MLC learning activities... Prepares regular and ad hoc reports and compilation of statistics as required.
- Administer all aspects of learning and promotional activities for MLC learning activities under his/her responsibility, including the allocation of financial and other resources.
- Participate in the preparation of annual programme, administrative and budget submissions.
- Coordinate with other sections of DHRM with regard to linkages between staff and career development on one end, and promotion, recruitment, posting, , and performance management. Participate in the development of policies and procedures in these areas.
- Manage the performance of staff in the MLC Unit, including ePADs and supervision.
- Manage budgets for direct implementation, prepare the submissions and reports for the budget and activities under his/her responsibility and review submissions of his/her direct reports. Within this context, take decisions on expenditure of funds (on the basis of agreed workplans) and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UNHCR financial, administrative, and staff rules and regulations.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
- Decide on learning priorities, methodologies and content under his / her content areas within approved parameters
- Represent GLC in meetings with UNHCR divisional and technical experts, interagency and partner counterparts as well as potential and actual learning services providers.
- Approve proposed external instructional design consultants.
- Approve budget expenditures for the learning activities under his/her responsibility.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced University degree preferably in organizational psychology or development, human resources management, education, psychology sociology or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant working experience of which 7 in an international environment.
- Extensive and expert knowledge of management and leadership theories and best practices, as well as specifics related to humanitarian leadership, especially in the context of the Humanitarian Reform/Transformative Agenda.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of humanitarian operations, procedures and issues related to forced displacement and, ideally, experience in working in interagency contexts.
- Experience in design, development, delivery and evaluation of learning activities either inside or outside UNHCR in the management and leadership field.
- Field experience.
- Demonstrated managerial experience.
- Excellent drafting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UN (HCR) learning environment and institutional strategic priorities.
- Working knowledge of another UN language, preferably French.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25