Ops Data Mgt Off
Operations Data Management Officer
This position is responsible for the management of data collection and reporting activities in field operations and for training field staff on data management and analysis. The incumbent liaise with operational partners and headquarters to support data management. This position directly supervises some support staff.
- UNHCR has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
- UNHCR registration and ProGres database are maintained with high quality so that it will be used for the operational planning and producing relevant reports and statistics.
- Facilitate and/or dispatch data collection in the local operation, including data collection methodology, data processing and data analysis.
- Ensure responses to report requests from local staff, local governments, partners, donors and headquarters.
- Act as a local lead in compiling and calculating statistics.
- Train local staff and/or organize training in data management best practices.
- Liaise with headquarters on new reporting requirements and procedures.
- Ensure that relevant data elements are collected in a standardized way that is compatible with Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Coordinate with GIS Officers in the field and Senior GIS Officers in headquarters to define data structure, interfaces and algorithms.
- Liaise with implementing and operational partners on data issues, participate in and/or organize inter-agency data groups at the Field level, and, if necessary, advise partners on methodological issues and promote timely reporting of data, according to agreed standards, for which they are responsible.
- Conduct data collection audits in order to ensure that no unnecessary data collection is occurring and to ensure that all necessary data is being captured.
- Record explicit data audit trails and metadata elements when calculating statistics, such that data sources, data quality and the methods of calculation are systematically kept.
- Develop new data collection and data analysis tools, including efficient data capturing forms.
- Manage the registration ("ProGres") database, oversee data input and reporting in close collaboration with other officers (protection, registration, community services, etc.).
- Create and maintain databases and spreadsheets that meet operational requirements.
- Convert, import and export data from systems as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Set and enforce data quality measures and registration standards.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University Degree (B.A.) in computer science, demography, geography, statistics, economics or a related field.
- Minimum of 8 years' experience in data management, statistics, analysis, information technology and administration.
- Experience in managing monitoring and surveillance systems in humanitarian organizations or in large, complex organizations or familiarity with ProGres and registration system.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme or Standards and Indicators training would be assets.
- Technical GIS knowledge.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: N'Djamena
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25