Prot Officer (Statelessness)
Protection Officer (Statelessness)
As a member of the Protection Unit in Yangon, UNHCR Myanmar, the Protection Officer (Statelessness) is responsible for ensuring that all statelessness issues in Myanmar are analyzed, monitored, and effectively followed-up on. Carrying out these tasks, the incumbent aims to identify key statelessness challenges, ensure coordination and harmonization of interventions, as appropriate, and develop strategies to address statelessness that are consistent with the operational context of Myanmar and the overall regional strategy on addressing statelessness.
The incumbent reports directly to the Senior Protection Officer based in Yangon. The incumbent has direct supervisory responsibility for protection staff, including a Senior Protection Associate, and international consultants. The incumbent works collaboratively with colleagues in the Field Offices in Rakhine State, Kachin State, Chin State and the south east region of Myanmar, as well as colleagues in Programme, Information Management, and Public Information Units. The incumbent also oversees the implementation and guide relevant partners who are implementing UNHCR funded citizenship and statelessness projects in Myanmar. Furthermore, the incumbent acts as an advisor to senior management in drafting and updating the UNHCR's Myanmar statelessness strategy and represents the organization to authorities, UN sister agencies, partners and other stakeholders on statelessness doctrine and policy. In consultation with the Senior Protection Officer, the incumbent liaises with the Regional Protection Unit in Bangkok, especially the Regional Protection Officer (Statelessness), and the Statelessness Unit in Headquarters to report developments, request feedback and technical support, and ensure appropriate sharing of information, in order to synchronize activities with the other countries in the region involved in statelessness issues.
The incumbent seeks to ensure that persons of concern, namely stateless persons, and persons with undetermined nationality, are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, authorities, protection and assistance partners as well as a broader network of stakeholders who can contribute to enhancing protection for stateless persons.
- National coordinated protection strategy to address key statelessness issues in Myanmar is developed and updated based on latest political environment.
- Timely and pertinent technical support on statelessness and policy advice is provided to the Myanmar Operation, in liaison with the Regional Protection Office and Headquarters, as appropriate.
- Support to UNHCR field offices in Myanmar in dealing with implementation of civil documentation projects and in dealing with counterparts (authorities, international and national agencies) on citizenship and statelessness issues is provided.
- The participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community based approaches.
- National protection capacities on statelessness are improved through direct engagement, research and advocacy with all relevant external interlocutors.
- Constantly update, as per the relevant political development, the holistic strategy to promote the reduction and prevention of statelessness, as well as the protection of stateless persons in Myanmar.
- Update, as need be, the identification of resources needed to effect UNHCR's strategy to address statelessness in Myanmar.
- Coordinate the relevant ongoing legal research on citizenship and statelessness in Myanmar needed to inform the overall and advocacy strategy for addressing statelessness in Myanmar, including analyzing how the current nationality law and relevant regulations related to citizenship and other types of legal status are being applied especially in the states/regions where UNHCR is present.
- Follow up on the development of the 2014 Census, and provide recommendations as needed, on the overall process.
- Coordinate small scale mapping exercise and/or countrywide mapping analysis, depending on available funding, to identify stateless groups outside Rakhine State, and assess any discriminatory practices for which these groups might be subject to.
- Coordinate the UNHCR civil documentation projects, jointly with the different field offices where civil documentation initiatives are taking place.
- Oversee the implementation of the Statelessness Project being implemented by International Development Law Organization and any other organizations.
- Promote Universal Birth Registration in Myanmar, jointly with relevant actors, including UNICEF and Plan International.
- Organize and facilitate a wide range of training, workshops and briefings on issues related to citizenship and statelessness to various stakeholders, including UN agencies, protection and humanitarian actors, diplomatic and donor communities as well as governmental officials and parliamentarians.
- Follow up on the ongoing verification exercise process in Rakhine State and any other exercise related to lawfully residence and/or nationality matters and provide recommendation on the way forward.
- Jointly with the Senior Protection Officer and the Representative, liaise with the appropriate governmental officials involved in a potential "granting of citizenship" exercise in Myanmar.
- Propose policy and legal recommendations to reduce statelessness in Myanmar;
- Provide recommendations on advocacy to mitigate the negative consequences of the discriminatory policies faced by stateless people in Rakhine State.
- Suggest reforms in the relevant laws and policies for discriminatory practices to be removed.
- Establish and chair a Civil Documentation Working Group.
- Identify partners that can be engaged with UNHCR on preventing and reducing statelessness.
- Undertake periodic field trips to communities and adjacent areas with a high concentration of stateless people to ensure UNHCR's presence and protection.
- Follow the political and economic developments in the country as they relate to UNHCR's operations, particularly in relation to the prevention and reduction of statelessness.
- Identify key PI lines and consider, in conjunction with RO/HQ, on what media strategy ought to be adopted.
- Coordinate closely with Field Offices in Rakhine State, Kachin State and Chin State and the south east region on issues related to citizenship and statelessness.
- Undertake other related duties as required.
- Decide which statelessness situations and cases are brought to the attention of the Myanmar Operation as well as propose responses.
- Engage with field offices in Myanmar, and the Regional Protection Unit in Bangkok and Statelessness Unit in Headquarters as needed, to devise strategies to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness and protect stateless persons.
- Identify potential partners outside UNHCR, including for operational responses, training and fundraising, and, in consultation with the Senior Protection Officer, initiate contact with them.
- Chair statelessness coordination meetings, including the civil documentation working group if established, and any other forums related to citizenship and statelessness.
- Approve expenditures under the UNHCR protection budget for citizenship and statelessness activities.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Law, International Law, political Sciences or related field with good knowledge of International Refugee and Human Rights Law.
- Minimum 8 years (6 years with Advanced University degree) relevant professional experience of which 2 years in the field and 3 years in an international capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Diverse field experience desirable.
- Good IT skills including database management skills.
- Completion of the Protection Learning Programme, RSD- Resettlement Learning Programme.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X004L3 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
X007L3 - Political Awareness Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Yangon
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25