Livelihood Officer (Nairobi)
Livelihood Officer (Nairobi)
The Livelihood Officer (Nairobi) has a key role in the implementation and consolidation of Refugee Livelihood Strategy and economic and social sensibility are its basic characters. He/She will be an important member of UNHCR office in the country that is largely involved in the implementation of livelihood programmes and explore new livelihoods opportunities. She/He should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, convincing in donor mobilization and able to take initiatives. She/He will provide much needed local knowledge to develop the local livelihood assets and social infrastructure to develop and sustain Refugee Livelihoods.
- UNHCR's country operation has sufficient support in the field of livelihood thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Implement the Livelihood Strategy in an institutional building manner in the southern governorate.
- Responsible for overall management of livelihood programmes; including designing and applying of specific programmes methodologies, implementation approaches and insuring meeting the livelihood programmes objectives; in accordance of the livelihood strategy developed.
- Guide and monitor on going livelihood activities/programmes for refugees-in line of UNHCR policies, mainstreaming gender, age and diversity- in order to ensure their timely, and effective implementation.
- Responsible, in cooperation with national government, implementing partners, and UNHCR representative, for designing and implementing a custom-made annual operation plan within the framework of an approved strategy; should it not be at the central level.
- Do adjustments to livelihoods activities, training components based on the concept notes already developed and develop new training programmes based on the market survey findings and skills in demand in the market.
- Coordinate the implementation of programmes components/activities with national, international NGOs.
- Operating in the field of similar livelihood programmes in country.
- Establish and maintain linkages with national local government as main partner to ensure coordination and joint planning and information sharing for livelihood strategy.
- Maintain close contacts with partners both in public, private and NGO sector in order to harmonize activities relating to promote livelihood activities.
- Develop cooperation ties with selected services providers operating i.e. business training teams and bodies, business development services, and micro-finance institutions at country level.
- Conduct wealth ranking survey after one year of implementation of projects.
- Organize and manage workshops assessment, group's discussions, seminar, training and counselling sessions on local integration, self reliance and micro finance with a view to empower the refugees and local host community.
- Organize and manage workshops, group¿s discussions, and other participatory assessments to ensure refugee ownership and decision making in planning and implementing specific livelihood programmes activities and in full coordination with community services.
- Perform any other functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the supervisor in order to meet the level of services in the organization.
- Enforce livelihood strategies and guidelines.
- Represent UNHCR in the meetings and for a related to the functions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- University Degree (BA) in Social Work, Social Science or related field.
- Minimum 8 years of working experience relevant to the function; of which 2 years should be in an International capacity.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
- Completion of UNHCR Protection Learning Programme (PLP) and/or the Operations Management Learning Programme (OMLP).
- Experience with UNHCR standards and indicators, and/or projects related to the millennium development goals.
- UNHCR Field experience.
- Knowledge and exposure to the social and cultural values of the region concerned.
- Proficiency in local language(s).
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25