Snr Regional Public Health Off
Senior Regional Public Health Officer
The overarching objectives of UNHCR¿s public health programmes is to enable refugees to fulfil their rights in accessing lifesaving and essential health care, HIV prevention, protection and treatment, reproductive health services, nutrition, food security and water, sanitation and hygiene services and to improve quality of life for refugees.
The incumbent is responsible to provide technical support and guidance to the country offices in the East and Horn of Africa region. The Senior Regional Public Health Officer is an active member RSC team and will work in close partnership with the Public Health Section. For this position the Senior Regional Public Health Officer should have relevant public health emergency experience and be able to be deployed to emergencies under the UNHCR policy on emergency activation. Critical will be the experience in health systems.
The Senior Regional Public Health Officer for East and Horn of Africa will have crucial expertise in public health. This position will provide technical support to the countries in the East and Horn of Africa region, as well as to develop and implement strategies related public health, HIV, Reproductive Health and Nutrition. In addition the Senior Regional Public Health Officer will ensure strong linkages between Public Health and WASH in the countries in the region.
The Senior Regional Public Health Officer will have regular contact with UN technical agencies, particularly WHO and UNICEF, NGO Partners, and Government officials as needed.
- UNHCR¿s country operations in the region are technically sound and thus better able to meet the needs of refugees.
- The prioritization of the Primary Health Care strategy focusing on preventive and basic curative health, including mental health, reproductive health, HIV and nutritional components is supported.
- The programming planning including development of cost effective budgets related to public health, HIV, RH, mental health and nutrition is supported.
- Ensure that there is a viable standard Health Information System in place for data collection, analysis and interpretation to serve as evidence base for planning and interventions.
- Ensure nutritional survey and other assessments for food and nutrition are adequately conducted and implemented
- Ensure immediate respond to refugee emergencies.
- Guide and support country offices in developing up-to technical programmes, based on international and UNHCR standards for quality public health programming.
- Provide technical assistance to UNHCR country offices and partners in development, integration and mainstreaming of appropriate and cost-effective public health, reproductive health and HIV prevention, treatment and care, mental health and nutrition.
- Ensure technical standards are being met in country operation and where required, support development of multi-year country sector strategies and programme plans adapted to the context.
- Undertake direct monitoring and quality assurance missions to ensure that sector programming is sound and cost-effective.
- Active involvement in all aspects of programme monitoring and evaluation with a main emphasis on checking levels of implementation and impact vis-à-vis resource inputs to measure cost-effectiveness and re-orient the programme as appropriate.
- Support UNHCR country staff in co-ordinating Public Health and HIV activities in line with UNHCR¿s role as UNAIDS co-sponsor and ensure that decisions are implemented as agreed upon.
- Work closely with UNHCR programme, field and protection staff to identify priority health issues and key data requirements for programme planning and monitoring to ensure that minimum UNHCR and international standards are being met.
- Update and disseminate good practices on public health, nutrition, mental health, HIV and reproductive health among partners.
- Ensure implementation of UNHCR health information systems and support countries with analysis of public health data.
- Support with the monitoring of the WASH programmes in the region and the linkages to public health.
- Sharing with local and international partners on the ground relevant guidelines and information materials on refugee HIV, reproductive health, general health and nutrition.
- Supporting country-level health focal points to promote the establishment of Refugee Committees to enable their active participation in the process of health planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure effective coordination with regional bodies, governments, UN partners and represent UNHCR in regional fora related to refugee health and nutrition.
- Deliver training, capacity building, coaching for UNHCR and partners to strengthen response in emergencies, support synergies and integration into national health, water services and deliver technically sound programmes.
- Enforce regional compliance with UNHCR Global Public Health Strategies, protocols and guidelines.
- Approve recommendations and advice on the technical capacity required of UNHCR and its partners in the region.
- Be the first point of call for emergencies and respond adequately.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A clinical background (nurse or MD) with postgraduate training in Public Health or Social Science.
- Minimum 10 years of previous job experience relevant to the function and in national/multinational organizations.
- Knowledge of public health, nutrition and HIV in humanitarian emergencies and development context.
- Very good communication and computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks in a courteous and service oriented manner in a demanding working condition that often has short deadlines.
- Ability to produce high quality output with desirable results.
- Experience working with progressively higher levels of responsibility with international organisations, (including NGO¿s and UN), in the field of health, HIV, Reproductive Health and Nutrition;
- Practical working experience in refugee settings.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Health service
- Health service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25