Snr Prog Officer
Senior Programme Officer
The incumbent receives guidance from the Deputy Representative or the Representative. The incumbent is expected to supervise normally one or two professional staff and normally supervises some support staff. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Programme Officer. S/he is also expected to stay abreast of the challenges posed to the country by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
Externally the incumbent acts as adviser or representative of the Organization with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority. Contacts are predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to Organization's programmes (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments).
- The needs of persons of concern in the country are assessed and analysed in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
- Prioritized plans are developed taking into account UNHCR's Global Strategic Priorities (GSPs), regional and country level priorities, resource availability, technical soundness and in compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Broad partnerships are developed and maintained with key stakeholders in order to maximize the response to finding solutions of problems affecting the persons of concern.
- IP agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures.
- The organizational fundraising actions are fully supported by maintaining regular contact with donor representatives and by submitting project funding submissions and appeals.
- Through a consultative process and field visits, contribute to the development of strategies, methodologies, contingency plans that respond to new and emerging operational challenges for the country.
- Ensure that global strategic priorities (GSP) and regional priorities as well as information on projected resource availability guide the planning parameters.
- Develop the country operations plan for overall compliance with global strategic priorities and regional priorities as well as with annual programming/planning instructions.
- Advise the Representative on the gaps and problems in order to decide on resource allocation for operations.
- Manage a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of UNHCR's policies/ practices related to and where applicable to UN cooperation , integrated missions, "Delivering as One" initiative, Common Humanitarian Action Plans, UNDAF, etc.
- Manage a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of the organization's criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
- Initiate and/or manage the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities.
- Guide and train UNHCR as well as implementing partners (IP) staff in UNHCR standard procedures related to the Results Based Programme management.
- Ensure that technical support is provided to achieve UNHCR's strategic priorities.
- Ensure proper collection, use and monitoring of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze UNHCR's performance, trends and target interventions.
- Ensure quality programmes by promoting use of UNHCR's corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in managing a transparent, consultative and responsible process for the approval of the country-level budgets and the allocation of resources.
- Assist in monitoring compliance to the organization's resource allocation framework, providing support and taking corrective action where required.
- Ensure and monitor audit compliance of the country operations, issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners, the audit reports issued by the Office of Internal of Oversight Services (OIOS) and external auditors.
- Ensure and monitor the implementation of IP Risk Management techniques and tools.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Set and enforce parameters, criteria and deadlines for the design, review and report of operations.
- Clear the submission of the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as of funding submissions, appeals and report.
- Negotiate implementing partner agreements.
- Represent UNHCR in UN and other operations management and programmatic for a.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCR's global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
- Approve recommendations and advice on the technical capacity required of UNHCR and its partners.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Social Science, Economics, International Relations or related field
- Minimum 10 years of previous job experience relevant to the function (12 years in case of University degree).
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.)
- Computer skills (in MS office)
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X007L3 - Political Awareness Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Tindouf
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25