Senior Oversight Officer
Senior Oversight Officer
The Senior Oversight Officer will report directly to the Senior Resource Manager within Regional Bureau for Africa, at HQs. S/he will have primary responsibility for coordinating the preparation, planning, organization and follow-up of oversight assignments. S/he will advise Senior Management on the status of compliance with financial, administrative and resource rules and regulations, policies and procedures, and engage directly in the resolution of any issues, weaknesses or gaps/accountability identified, at the Operations, including follow-up on the recommendations of various oversight/audit reports. S/he will contribute to the preparation of the annual oversight plans and to other reports, analyses, reviews and assessments related to oversight functions/activities as required.
The work of the Senior Oversight Officer will involve interaction with staff of the country operations, as well as staff at Headquarters and in the field at all levels.
- Oversight missions, especially those having and audit/compliance component, are thoroughly planned and prepared and carried out in accordance with procedures, protocols and criteria established by the UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations.
- UNHCR systems of financial, administrative and resource management have integrity at the country and regional level.
- Reports are issued in a timely manner and the implementations of resulting recommendations are closely monitored to ensure compliance.
- Lessons learned from oversight/compliances are disseminated to relevant offices and when/where appropriate, new integrated oversight/compliance checklist, procedures are developed.
- Provide independent in-depth analysis of the internal controls in the relevant operations. The analyses will be used to ensure that proper internal control structures are instituted, reviewed and updated to ensure effectiveness.
- Perform and carry out ongoing verifications to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, compliance with established rules, regulations, policies and procedures and progress in implementing the recommendations of the various oversight bodies, i.e. Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) and the UN Board of Auditors.
- Where weaknesses or gaps in the implementation of rules and regulations, policies and procedures or internal controls are identified, perform remedial actions to resolve issues, improve compliance, correct errors and reduce risks.
- Follow up on the implementation of the recommendations contained in oversight/audit reports, and take appropriate action to address any problems or difficulties arising.
- Provide direct assistance to field staff as required to ensure that internal controls, rules and regulations, policies and procedures are fully and properly implemented.
- Provide guidance and advice to management of relevant operations in the field. Contribute to the formulation of region/country risk management strategy, specifically, to identify and then propose actions for mitigating management, operational and financial risks.
- Provide ad hoc or specific reports as requested by the Senior Resource Manager at regional/generic or country specific level, including analysis reports and status reports on follow-up/compliance.
- Prepare/participate in preparations for risk-based, integrated oversight work plans of UNHCR field offices in Africa.
- Plan and prepare oversight missions through compilation and analysis of background information related to the operation to be audited, including through interviews of and briefings by concerned staff and review of relevant documentation.
- Debrief field offices to be audited upon completion of oversight activities, if applicable.
- Draft in a timely manner relevant sections of oversight mission reports and related documentation and compile, edit and coordinate the finalization of these reports and documents.
- Follow up on the implementation of the recommendations contained in oversight reports through the course of the oversight/audit cycle, and take appropriate action to address any problems or difficulties arising from his/her monitoring of the process.
- Extract lessons learned from oversight assignments, formulate conclusions/recommendations that have a wider relevance to the work of the organization, and assist in disseminating them.
- Contribute to improving procedures that integrate oversight functions, especially audit and compliance, and to oversight-related management tools.
- Promote the integrated oversight/compliance function as an important tool for enhancing the quality of management and for ensuring accountability.
- Enforce country-level compliance with UNHCR¿s financial rules.
- In coordination with the headquarters, initiate sanctions for non-compliance at the country-level to UN/UNHCR¿s financial rules and procedures.
- In coordination with headquarters, set and enforce local deadlines for responding to audit reports.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced University degree (Master¿s degree) in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional experience in audit (including supervisory functions), finance, accounting, audit with at least four years of field experience, preferably with UNHCR or other UN agencies.
- In-depth knowledge of UNHCR Financial Rules, and knowledge of UN Financial Rules and Regulations
- Knowledge of project finance control.
- Command of UNHCR¿s financial management information system (MSRP) and standard computer applications (EXCEL, Word, Access, Visio, etc.)
- Professional competence and knowledge of auditing standards and practices, risk assessment, and applicable financial rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of reporting requirements within the UN/UNHCR system.
- Fluent in English (both oral and written) is required.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Professional qualifications in the fields of accounting or auditing.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- General specific learning/training in the fields of evaluations, risk and programme management.
- Knowledge of another UN language preferably French.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X009L3 - Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25