Snr ICT Prog Mgmt Off
Senior ICT Project Management Officer
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT. Define the role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, if any, it's external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
The post is located within the Business Relationship Management Service and reports directly to the Deputy Director
The Senior ICT Project Management Officer will be responsible for the management of medium to large ICT projects. The incumbent will have a matrix management responsibilitity for the supervision of staff members and service providers assigned to the projects. In addition, the incumbent will work closely with Project Steering Committees, Stakeholders, Workstream Leads, Service Delivery Managers, Solution Architects, external Managed Service Providers and Vendors to plan and schedule work and ensure business requirements are met, with the Senior Portfolio Management Officer to ensure that good governance is in place for all ICT projects, and with the Senior Release Management Officer to plan the transition of ICT projects into operation.
The position is key to the ability of DIST to fulfill its mission is providing timely and effective ICT support to UNHCR. The incumbent plays the key role in ensuring that ICT projects are led, managed and delivered in a professional, effective and efficient manner.
- UNHCR's assigned level 2 and level 3 ICT projects are delivered on time, within budget, to specification, and to the satisfaction of project owners to the fullest extent possible.
- ICT projects are managed in a manner consistent with relevant standards including PMBOK and Prince2.
- Problems within ICT projects are resolved in a timely and effective manner, and escalated, if necessary, to senior managers appropriately.
- Provide leadership and coordinate the technical, professional conduct of ICT project teams including the lead architects, developers, business analysts and other project team members at all stages of the project cycle process including initiation, planning, and development
- Manage day-to-day activities of the project team to ensure each project remains on schedule and on budget as well as create, maintain and track project plans and schedules, cost estimates and problem logs throughout the life of the project.
- Coordinate key activities within their ICT projects, highlighting risks and dependencies throughout the project and executing appropriate corrective or mitigating actions.
- Manage internal and external resources to ensure best practice in ICT project management is achieved.
- Liaise directly with relevant sections of DIST, and project sponsors and stakeholders.
- Lead the reporting to project steering mechanisms and key stakeholders including the provision of regular status reports to clients and management.
- Report timely and accurate risks to the ICT project sponsor and implementing agreed upon mitigating actions.
- Lead, guide and motivate project team members while resolving internal conflicts and supervising the implementation of the ICT projects.
- Work effectively with the ICT Senior Portfolio Management Officer to ensure that good governance is in place for all assigned projects.
- Coordinate with the relevant sections to plan the transition of ICT projects into operation.
- Develop a comprehensive rollout strategy and plan including the development and/or deployment of basic training tools, materials and staff/other resources needed for rollout.
- Develop a training and transition plan, and ensure that UNHCR staff are trained and supported in the operation, monitoring and maintenance of the new solutions.
- Undertake other tasks or assignments within area of competence as required.
- Approve changes to ICT project plans within agreed ICT project management tolerances.
- Approve statements of work for Managed Service Providers within bounds of ICT project budget.
- Prioritize competing work demands.
- Allocate resources for tasks to address project requirements.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
- University degree in ICT or related subject
- A minimum of 10 years (with advanced university degree) ICT experience of which 7 should be of managing successful ICT projects.
- Demonstrated success in managing and implementing medium to large scale ICT projects.
- Experience in working with external suppliers to deliver against agreed schedules.
- Experience in managing stakeholders to successfully deliver ICT project outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to manage requirements ensuring that the appropriate balance is managed between cost and functionality.
- Demonstrated ability to manage risk, and effectively engage all ICT project stakeholders in risk management.
- Excellent written and spoken English
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Qualification in a recognized project management methodology e.g. Prince 2.
- Experience of developing ICT projects for a global organization.
- Managing large, complex ICT projects in a public sector organization with many stakeholders.
- Experience leading a matrixed team to ensure collaboration and effective operations.
- Working knowledge of any other UN language.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X004L3 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the March 2016 Compendium is Monday 25 April 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-04-25