Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response)
Abuja | Abuja
Position Title : Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response)
Duty Station : Abuja, Nigeria
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 April 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Cabo Verde, Czech
Republic, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Israel, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Suriname, El Salvador, Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), in coordination with Regional Emergency and Post Crisis (EPC) Specialist in RO Dakar and technical oversight of IOM Headquarters (HQs) Department of Operations & Emergencies (DOE), the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for all operations and coordination activities organized by IOM Mission in Nigeria in relation to the humanitarian crisis in the North East.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Develop, implement and monitor administrative and operational activities of approved emergency related projects.
Monitor, supervise and oversee the Project Managers/Officers responsible for the execution of emergency projects. Ensure the application of the strategy, procedural standards and policies of IOM emergency projects.
Ensure good and effective coordination of activities between different IOM emergency projects and relevant stakeholders of the Emergency Shelter (ES)/NFI/CCCM working group, as well as with the National and State level Emergency Management Agencies (N/SEMA), local authorities, and donors.
Ensure IOM ES/NFI/CCCM fulfill its sectorial coordination functions under the leadership of the NEMA and establish linkages between coordination mechanisms at state level and the national level in Abuja.
Identify new opportunities consistent with the approved emergency projects and ongoing activities. Recommend projects’ improvements.
Contribute to the development of emergency response project implementation strategies aimed at meeting the projects’ objective.
Review and adjust proposals to ensure consistency with relevant priorities of IOM Nigeria emergency response, including IOM role in ES/NFI and CCCM sector coordination, taking into consideration available resources. Formulate and present such proposals through the use of technical and substantive inputs, in accordance with the required format for final review and approval.
Prepare or ensure timely preparation and submission of all emergency project reports according to IOM and donor formats as required. Prepare regular updates, project summaries, press releases and other relevant materials.
Provide financial, administrative and logistical backstopping to identify, train and supervise staff in accordance with IOMs procedures and regulations.
Undertake duty travel relating to need assessments, emergency project monitoring, and liaison with counterparts, problem solving, and new project development, as required.
Represent IOM in agency coordination forum and other as required.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in International Relations, Political Science, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Practical experience with international organizations, in development, implementation and evaluation, and/or project implementation and management;
• Experience in Camp Coordination and Camp Management, ES/NFI, Shelter, DTM and project management and/or coordination;
• Familiarity with different project cycle steps and donor relations;
• Ability to supervise large numbers of staff;
• Experience in liaising with government authorities, governmental institutions, other national and international institutions and national and international NGOs;
• Previous experience working in Nigeria is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic or French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 14 April 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 01.04.2016 to 14.04.2016
Requisition: SVN 2016/42 (P) - Programme Coordinator (Emergency Response) (P3) - Abuja, Niger
Posting: Posting NC54778175 (54778175) Released
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Abuja | Abuja
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Development Cooperation
- Humanitarian Aid
- Humanitarian Aid
- Emergency Aid
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-04-14