Antioch | Ankara
General Description of the Programme
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in northern Syria delivering food, non-food, shelter, WASH, livelihoods and emergency programming with a strong focus on market based approaches. GOAL met the needs of more than 750,000 conflict affected Syrians in 2015 and had a confirmed budget of more than $150 million. In 2016, GOAL will start working with partners to implement health programming inside Syria.
General Description of the Role
The Health Coordinator is responsible for the overall quality, management and expansion of the GOAL Syria Health program, and facilitating integration and linkages between health, nutrition, food security and WASH activities. Provision of technical and management guidance and leadership to current Health projects and strategically placing GOAL’s Health response to meet the needs of people inside Syria by actively seeking Health funding opportunities. The holder of this post will also be required to establish and develop strong working relationships with key Health stakeholders including, but not limited to, representatives from the Government, UN bodies, INGOs, Local NGOS, implementing Partner organizations, private sector and co-ordination bodies. The Health Coordinator will liaise and coordinate with the Global Health Advisors for technical and strategic support.
The Health Coordinator will report directly to the Deputy Head of Programmes.
The Health Coordinator is a new role within GOAL Syria; coming from a background in health, the ideal candidate will be an energetic and capable individual, capable of self-motivating and working under their own initiative. English language skills are required, and Arabic language would be highly advantageous.
Program Development and Program Management
- Technically lead GOAL health program strategic planning and design in coordination with the Assistant Country Director-Programmes and GOAL technical team based on sound evidence of needs
- Support the timely preparation technically sound concept notes, proposals, work plans, budgets, reports and ad hoc information pieces
- Ensure timely implementation of proposed activities across all Health projects according to budget and activity plan
- In collaboration with the Deputy Head of Programmes and Finance Controller assume responsibility over the health budgets and making sure funds allocated to the response are used appropriately and in a timely manner
- Support effective management of drugs and medical supplies by partners and ensure ordering is done with a view to quality and need
- Monitor the health situation in Syria and advise management of changes in context, needs, and risks
- Ensure that programmes are implemented according to recognized Syrian and international standards
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning teams to create M&E plans, an appropriate accountability framework and to develop learning papers for internal and external audiences.
- Ensure appropriate medical protocols and data collection forms are used by all site offices and facilities
- Oversee the collection and timely reporting for all programs in accordance to the agreed internal and donors reporting requirements in collaboration with Grants team
Technical Support and Quality Assurance
- Provide overall technical support and guidance to all GOAL Health programmes, those implemented by partners and those implemented by GOAL
- Ensure linkages between Health projects and other sector projects in Syria to offer a holistic package of care to beneficiaries
- Offer technical support from a medical logistics angle for drug and equipment ordering
- Review partnership proposals providing technical input on activities, budget, work plans
- Oversee the technical implementation of partners and offer guidance as needed using audit tools
- Work with partners to assess needs for capacity building and design training plans
- Meet monthly with partners to review context, activities, adherence to standards
- Alert management to real or potential risks to partner implementation (i.e. quality, timeliness, budget-spend)
- Ensure effective and quality health programming with support from MEAL (monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning) through appropriate baseline surveys and health needs assessments as needed
- Ensure early warning systems and contingency plans are in place for investigation and control of outbreaks of infectious diseases
- Regularly visit partner offices and health facilities and provide needed health technical programme inputs
Representation and Coordination
- Participate and represent GOAL in health cluster coordination meetings; provide regular technical updates externally and report on meetings internally to GOAL
- Take a leadership role in sector specific task forces
- Ensure positive interaction and good relations with stakeholders including the MoH
- Represent GOAL to donors in collaboration with ACD-P
- Work closely with the GOAL WASH, Food Security, and NFI sectors to ensure synergy of interventions
- Hold and minute regular internal coordination meetings among health personnel to ensure all staff are aware of key developments, overall strategy and have a clear understanding of their work
- Support regional GOAL health coordination
- Identify staffing gaps in GOAL and partner teams, create and update staffing plans, and lead in the recruitment and training of staff required for program implementation
- Enhance technical and health management skills of national health staff through the provision of internal and external formal trainings and informal on the job training by their supervisors
- Provide supervision and direction to health officers and other health staff
- Line manage senior health staff and ensure managers are offering appropriate support to their staff
- Coordinate provision of coaching, training, capacity building and technical support to GOAL medical staff and partners on the planning, implementation and management of health related activities
Requirements of the Position:
- Educational Level: Clinical background (nurse, medical doctor, psychologist) with a Master’s degree level in public health or other related discipline
- At least 5 years of experience coordinating and managing health programs for vulnerable populations
- Proven expertise and experience in conflict and/or post-conflict health
- Very strong demonstrable experience in all aspects of project management including project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial management and the design/utilization of appropriate project management tools, and the capacity to transfer this experience to others
- Experience in effective collaboration with international personnel, headquarters staff, donor agencies, government officials, and NGO. Able to work with a broad spectrum of people
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills with extensive experience and staff mentoring capacity.
- Extremely flexible, previous experience in managing large teams and ability to work under administrative and programmatic pressures and ability to cope with stressful situations
- Effective communication, networking, analysis and writing skills
- Demonstrable experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities and other NGOs
- Fluency in English language, Arabic would be highly advantageous
General Terms and Conditions
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Candidates will be vetted in accordance with the GOAL Child Protection Policy.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Antioch | Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Health service
- Health service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Closing Date: 2016-03-31