Operations Officer (EDD) - UNMAS Somalia
Mogadishu | Mogadishu
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - PSC
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) supports and facilitates the work of United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), other UN partners, and Governments in some 18 countries and territories affected by explosive-hazards. The UNOPS PSC provides specialized project management services to efficiently support UNMAS in delivering essential work on the ground in emergency, post-conflict and peacekeeping environments with the aim of promoting peace and security, protecting civilians and ensuring long lasting human security
Background Information - UNMAS
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
The Operations (EDD) Officer will work under the direct supervision of the UNMAS Project Manager.The duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- Participate as Accreditation Board member during Pre Deployment Assesments (PDA), Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI) and lead and conduct periodic accreditation / Inspections of EDD teams;
- Implement EDD Quality Management system inclusing the conduct of QA/QC assessments(considerable experience as assessor/evaluator of product scent detection dogs according to similar standards required) and report outcomes according to Somalia National Standards EDD Operations;
- Responsible for review of maintenance training of contracted EDD Teams and for debrifing EDD contractors on QA achievements;
- Oversee and coordinate the implementation and execution of all EDD related operations in Somalia as directed by the Project Manager;
- Maintain familiarity with the International Mine Action Standards (IMAS), National Mine Action Standards (NMAS), UNOPS EDD QS and best practices in EDD operations;
- Lead the maintenance, revision and updating of the Somalia Standing Operating Procedures on EDD teams and the Somalia National Standards as required and directed by the Project Manager;
- Provide leadership in liaising with relevant stakeholders including the contractor, relevant Mission authorities, and members of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security to ensure complete integration of EDD efforts with the overall security plan;
- Visit field locations to develop the concept of integration of EDD assets with operations specific to each location under the direction of the Project Manager;
- Develop and conduct EDD course for UNMAS SomaliaOperations Officers;
- Perform other related duties in support of UNMAS programmes objectives as directed by the Project Manager.
- Teamwork – Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Planning & Organization – Ability to manage, organize, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines.
- Judgment – Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment and decision making skills.
- Communications – Strong spoken and written communication skills.
- Problem Solving – Strong analytical and problem solving skills and ability to handle a range of management and coordination issues.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Willingness to keep abreast of new developments.
- Experience providing technical advice regarding best use of EDD assets to senior security management.
- Evaluation/assessment of product scent dogs ( 5 years documented international experience)
- EDD QA course development ( documented international experience)
- Experience conducting internationally recognised Product Scent Detection dog courses (3 Years)
- EDD standards review and development (Preferred)
- Contract management experience (preferred)
- MS Office (Mandatory 5 years)
- Experience at presenting at HQ level or senior management (Preferred) Education/Experience/Language requirementsEdit Delete
- An Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in combination with additional 5 years in Project Management,Business Administration, Public Administration or related field;
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in combination with additional 7 years of required qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- High School Diploma with Military experience (or relevant Police experience) at the Staff Officer Level in combination with additional 11 years qualifying experience may also be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 5 years experience of product scent detection assessment/ evaluation
- 3 years experience of developing and conducting internationally recognised Product Scent Detention dog courses
- UN experience (Desired)
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- Working knowledge of French is desirable.
- Comprehensive experience in evaluating/assessing Product Scent Detention Dog (national/international)
- UN experience desired
- Driving Licence
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: (International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA - 2
Contract duration: 6 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Mogadishu | Mogadishu
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2016-04-05