Regional Infrastructure Advisor
New York City | Washington D.C
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
We expect the incumbent to have a broad knowledge of infrastructure particularly within a military engineering / peacekeeping context and be able to assist the PSC in the provision of advice to various country offices working within a post-conflict environment.
The Senior Infrastructure Advisor will act as a primary source of technical expertise in the organization and provide leadership and authoritative advice for PSC practitioners of sustainable infrastructure at both a country, programme and project level. The Senior Infrastructure Advisor will contribute to operational support, strategy development and knowledge sharing within PSC infrastructure operations. The operational support may be at any stage within the project cycle, but typically will be associated with the Feasibility / Design / Construction phases.
Technical Advice & Quality Assurance
- Provide technical advice and a quality assurance framework within the region in relation to projects which include an infrastructural element in Physical Security and Stockpile Management (PSSM) and/or Weapon and Ammunition Management (WAM).
- Participate and organise a series of workshops and field travel in order to raise capacity levels associated with the delivery of infrastructure. Typical activities would include, project planning, management of contracts, health and safety, design management
- Responsible for conducting comprehensive analysis of current and future interventions that connect infrastructure aspects with the Weapon and Ammunition Management (WAM) segment of PSC’s work.
- Provide advice on technical specifications, Bills of Quantities, bidding documentation, engineering drawings, construction methodologies, construction planning and programming, assessment of contractors' technical capacity to deliver
- Assessment of the quality of design and construction
- Ensuring compliance with UNOPS Health and Safety and Environmental Management System
- Perform peer reviews in line with UNOPS Design Manual and applicable regulations/guidelines.
- Support and drive to completion the development of WAM standardised designs for armouries and ammunition storage areas that will reduce the scope of third party review
- Identification of bottlenecks, capacity gaps (as compared to the requirement), suggest type of resources necessary to address the needs
- Review of WAM standardised designs for armouries and ammunition storage areas that will reduce the scale of third party reviews;
- Substantive support to the Programme/Project & Team managers in the implementation of infrastructure projects
- Advise infrastructure practitioners on the application, interpretation and adoption of corporate policy, guidance and best practices
- Identification, engagement and management of local and regional consultancy firms providing these services
Business Development Support
- Support Infrastructure and Project Management group Business Development & Strategic positioning agenda in the region through her/his expertise, regional contacts and demonstrated ability
- Responsible for reviewing all proposals for projects in the region, via the corporate Engagement system and providing advice to the relevant authority; escalating all complex cases to IPMG
- S/he will provide advice and support on new initiatives, with focus on quality assurance and quality control of project documents, costing and cost implications, implementation plans, milestones and benchmark indicators
- S/he will assist with technical input to proposals, including proposal writing and project planning
Representing Infrastructure & Project Management Group
- Participate and organise a series of workshops and field travel in order to raise awareness of the WAM workshops: planning timelines, delivery, contract management, etc.
- Dissemination of training for corporate guidance and instructions that impact infrastructure practitioners, as required
- Ensure best practice guidance is disseminated and communicated throughout the region
- S/he will provide capacity development within the region for Infrastructure standards, processes and tools
- S/he will contribute to the knowledge of IPMG knowledge management by capturing case studies and best practice examples from the region, making recommendations on policy and tools, as well as contributing to the development of guidance material and tools
- S/he will provide expertise and support in implementation of infrastructure standards and frameworks, procurement and contract modality selection and management, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, OH&S, EMS etc.
To learn more about this opportunity and apply, please click here
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: New York City | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2016-03-27