Human Resources Specialist
Bangui | Bangui
Vacancy code: VA/2016/B5301/9604 - Human Resources Specialist
Position title: Human Resources Specialist
Department/office: AFR CDOH, DRC
Duty station: Central Africa Republic, Bangui
Contract type: International ICA
Contract level: IICA-2
Duration: Three (03) months (renewable upon satisfactory performance and available funding)
II. Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peace building contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific- Project CAR
The United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic, under the leadership of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, decided to respond quickly to maintain the momentum of peace and facilitate the implementation of the recommendations of the Forum for National Reconciliation held in Bangui from 4 to 11 May 2015. To this end, a Working Group on Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) of former combatants was created in May 2015 at the Mission's headquarters, including all sections of the minusca. Under the leadership of the Mission Branch (SRSG DRSG, FC, DMS), with overall technical coordination of the DDR section, it is envisaged the implementation of pre-DDR activities in sixteen (16) localities. The seven priority sites are: Bouar, KagaBandoro, Bambari Bria, Ndele, Birao and Paoua. In June 2015, the Mission has requested additional support from UNOPS, more specifically the mission seeks UNOPS to support the pre-DDR program in 16 communities identified, including Bangui.
III. Functional Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager. The selected candidate shall apply all UNOPS’ policies, rules and regulations, related to HR. The Human Resources Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to promoting high staff morale.
The Human Resources Specialist’s main role is to lead Human Resource operations, ensuring smooth implementation of HR strategies and policies, and provide the overall guidance to management on HR related topics. He/she works in close consultation with the In-Country Project Managers
It is understood that the Human Resource Specialist can be working in a dynamic and changing environments with limited resources.
Summary of Key Functions
• Effective human resource administration
• Recruitment processes
• Administration of contracts, benefits and entitlements, leave monitoring
• Planning and development
• Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Detailed functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Ensure full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies, procedures and strategies; help establish effective implementation of the internal control and functioning of UNOPS Office in the Central African Republic (CAR).
• Actively work with the portfolio management team to coordinate and implement the different HR work streams, and interact with and support the management, within delegated authority.
• Within delegated responsibility, manage CAR’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment (including annual recruitment plans), drafting job descriptions, obtaining job classification, posting vacancy announcements, assisting hiring managers with screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, placement, separation of personnel, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UNOPS rules and procedures.
• Manage and coordinate the preparation of CAR’s HR work plans, budgeting, and progress monitoring and reporting.
• Reviews and coordinates incoming requests relating to CAR recruitments, contract extensions, transfers, exchange or loan, and separation of staff, consultants, or contractors, ensuring documentation is complete and in conformity with HR policies and procedures.
• Develops and implements tracking tools to monitor recruitment status and other indicators for management and recruitment purposes.
Monitors and tracks status of requests, initiating follow-up action to ensure selection review submission is timely, accurate, and contains complete documentation.
• Reviews and prepares Requests for Personnel Action (RPA) forms to ensure correct budget allocation, and for separating staff, verification that no financial obligations are due to UNOPS.
• Reviews consultants’ qualifications and experience and drafting of Terms of Reference; determining daily remuneration to be paid in accordance with the established fee schedule.
• Briefs staff and consultants regarding entry details, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, privileges and entitlements, and quick action to facilitate their taking up the assignment on a timely basis.
• Prepares offer of appointment as well as the salary/fee computation for review.
• Administration of contracts in online systems, including monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, etc. within delegated responsibility.
• Acts as focal point for CAR for the transition and implementation of the HR modules of the new OneUNOPS ERP platform, and perform related training needs of the client.
• Liaison with UNOPS HQ IPAS HR and GSSC as required for contract administration following Standard Operating Procedures.
• Preparation and/or review of individual contractor agreement submission requests to Contracts Committees, in accordance with established policy and procedures.
• Supports the leave and absences for the Portfolio Team, ensuring that leave records are always correctly maintained and up-to-date (an Audit requirement).
• Establishment and implementation of a system for monitoring and tracking transactions to ensure timely, consistent and equitable provision of services with a client focus.
• Production of statistical reports and preparation of data required for policy and issues papers.
• Planning, organizing and making logistical arrangements for workshops, corporate meetings and retreats as directed.
• Support to effective learning management and individual learning plans in collaboration with the CAR and UNOPS DR Congo senior management.
• Development and secure maintenance of the HR recording and archiving systems in accordance with UNOPS record retention policies.
Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
• Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in human resources.
• Performs other related duties as instructed.
IMPACT OF RESULTS:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency and effectiveness of HR management of CAR Office, and by extension the growth of CAR client services, business processes, business development, partnership building and networking, leading to increased business opportunities for the Organization. Consequences of errors: Errors in programme formulation/project formulation or monitoring cause project delays or less project success.
IV. Education/Experience/Language requirements
University Master’s Degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with master’s degree or 7 years relevant experience with bachelor’s degree at the national or international level in providing Human Resources Support Services and/or managing staff and related operational system.
· Fluency in French and English is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an asset
UNOPS Core Values/Competencies
• Respect for diversity
• Creativity and innovation
• Planning and organization skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
• Strong knowledge and experience of project and portfolio management operations and ability to link knowledge to UNOPS HR policies, processes and frameworks.
• Proven track record of successfully supporting/implementing a broad range of HR support services, ensuring efficient and effective project delivery, adapting to the needs of the client.
• Solid experience with both ICA and FTA recruitments, including knowledge of what is required from a UNOPS “pre-clearance” perspective and experience from LCPC submissions and deliberations
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA-2
Contract duration: Three months initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link*:* https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Interested candidates can apply using below link: https://gprs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=9604
· Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
· Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
· Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
· Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangui | Bangui
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2016-03-15