Humanitarian Policy Advisor Consultant Regional Bureau for Middle East, North Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia
Cairo | Cairo
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a 11 month consultancy position of Humanitarian Policy Advisor Consultant, based Cairo, Egypt.
Under the supervision of the Programme Policy Advisor for Country Strategic Planning and Humanitarian Policy and overall supervision of the Senior Programme Policy Advisor the selected candidate will be responsible for coordinating the Regional Bureaus’ efforts to provide technical advice and support to country offices and relevant technical units in the Regional Bureau. The Emergencies and Transitions Unit (OSZPH) in HQ will provide technical support and guidance.
Specifically the following duties will be undertaken:
- Facilitate capacity building, including training, for WFP and cooperating partner staff across the region.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to country offices in the region through remote support as well as in-country missions.
- Provide advice and technical support to relevant technical units in the Regional Bureau to ensure integration of the areas covered in this TOR in strategies, tools, and reporting as relevant at the regional level.
- In collaboration with the regional donor relations unit, raise awareness with donors on WFP's work on the areas covered in this TOR and develop a fundraising strategy to access additional funds for continued regional expertise and operational requirements of country offices to integrate the areas of relevance to them.
- Continue to nurture and develop existing partnerships relevant for the areas covered by this TOR and identify opportunities for collaboration with partner agencies.
- Contribute to coordination efforts across WFP, facilitated by OSZPH, on the areas relevant to this TOR with a view to enhance learning between regions and country offices and develop a coordinated approach to their implementation throughout the organization.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Advanced academic degree in one or more of the following disciplines: international law, development studies, international relations, sociology or other relevant field.
- At least six years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in development projects or humanitarian assistance, of which at least 3 years international field experience. This should include experience working in crisis or post-crisis contexts.
- Demonstrated field experience working on either protection/human rights programming or establishing accountability mechanisms within programmes.
- Experience in delivering training and conducting capacity-building for field operations and supporting senior managers in implementing new concepts.
- Understanding of food security programming with previous experience from WFP or any of its cooperating partners is a strong asset.
Technical Skills & Competencies:
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills, as well as conceptual thinking.
- Client orientation with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to produce outputs independently, while at the same time seeking innovative ways to integrate areas covered by this TOR in the work of other relevant units.
- Flexibility to travel frequently and on short notice, when necessary.
- Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Cairo | Cairo
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Humanitarian Aid
- Humanitarian Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-03-25