Assistant Country Director-Programs
Blantyre with frequent travel to field sites | Lilongwe
Job Title Assistant Country Director - Programs
Job Location Malawi, Blantyre with frequent travel to field sites
Reporting To Country Director
Contract 24 months
General Description of the Program:
GOAL began operations in 2002 and today operates an integrated, multi-sectorial relief, recovery and development program in three districts in southern Malawi. GOAL is a high impact organization with a commitment to results based management and value for money. GOAL has a permanent team of one hundred team members, including four international, and 96 national, and an annual budget in excess of €5,000,000 via a number of dependable institutional and private donors including USAID, DFID, EU, UNICEF, and Irish Aid. Key sectors/programmatic focus include climate change adaption, livelihoods, resilience DRR, community health, WASH, food security, and nutrition. GOAL enjoys strong ties to government and non-state actors and leverages opportunities for private sector engagement where feasible. GOAL has a country office in Lilongwe, head office in Blantyre, and has with five field offices.
Overall Description of the Role:
Working under the Country Director, the Assistant Country Director - Programs (ACD-P) is primarily responsible for program oversight and for development and implementation of programs that add value, achieve the greatest impact, and hold GOAL accountable to donors, government, and communities. S/he provides leadership and mentorship to field teams and is responsible for team member’s development. The ACD-P is a member of GOAL’s senior management team.
The role encompasses program planning, proposal writing, reporting, and programs monitoring, evaluation, capacity building, as well as coordination with relevant national and district level authorities, UN agencies and other INGOs. The role will be based in Blantyre with frequent travel to Lilongwe and other field sites.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Ensure all GOAL Programs are implemented to high quality standards in line with GOAL’s country strategy, relevant donor requirements, international best practice and the codes of conduct and agreements to which GOAL is a signatory;
- Drive GOAL’s performance management process for all Programs, providing guidance and support to Program managers and feeding back relevant information to GOAL’s SMT and GOAL Ireland;.
- Prepare project and Program proposals in accordance with donor tender documentation and requirements;
- Support the development and utilisation of appropriate M&E and Program management tools and systems;
- Develop and implement internal mechanisms for institutional learning and Program integration;
- Push the integration of new Program components and directions;.
- Support the mainstreaming of gender, HIV, child protection, and environment into all projects;
- Represent GOAL in meetings with donors, INGO forums and government representatives;
- Travel frequently to all areas of operation to monitor implementation and ensure that beneficiaries, local authorities, and team members are represented in program planning and evaluation;
- Regularly report the status and progress of GOAL Programs to the Country Director.
- With the Country Director, identify and obtain support for new initiatives that foster and/or improve the strategic objectives of the country program, whether these new initiatives utilize existing resources or require new program development.
- Communicate effectively through reports, updates and other methods with donors, GOAL HQ and the public. Lead in the preparation and completion of all donor reporting.
- Review and define key priority areas for GOAL, based on an analysis of strengths, strategic direction and donor environment;
- Develop a donor strategy establishing donor opportunities, their fit with GOAL capabilities and priorities for development of key donors;
- Develop, review, and/or revise the strategic plans for each of GOAL’s priority sectors to ensure efficiency, effectiveness, quality assurance and continual improvement throughout the country Program;
- Assist with the ongoing process of enhancing cooperation and the streamlining of procedures between systems and Programs departments.
- Facilitate and manage a programmatic shift from direct implementation toward working in partnership with local NGOs and government authorities (where appropriate and possible).
- Be part of the SMT and contribute accordingly;
- Ensure appropriate HR planning, training, and resource allocation as required for the successful implementation of Program objectives, including appropriate support personnel at field sites;
- Line manage the individual members of GOAL’s technical team (M&E Coordinator, Engineering Coordinator, Marketing Advisor, etc.);
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL and in no way jeopardize our humanitarian efforts;
- Other duties as requested or assigned by the Country Director;
- Deputize for the Country Director in his or her absence.
- Supervise, provide leadership and build the capacity of senior program team members in program/project design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and management;
- Mentor and contribute to an atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development for program team members;
- Ensure finance protocols are followed by all Program team members, and by support team members in Nsanje;
- Liaise with the Financial Controller to ensure continuous oversight and involvement at all stages of the program cycle;
- Ensure Program budgets are being spend on time and as per procedures;
- Approve expenses when required.
Requirements for the Position:
- A minimum of five years’ experience with development Programs at a senior management level;
- Experience managing projects and Programs funded by major institutional donors and agencies, such as the EC, the UN, DFID, USAID and Irish Aid.
- Strong demonstrable experience in all aspects of project management including project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial management and the design/utilization of appropriate project management tools, and the capacity to transfer this experience to others;
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills with extensive experience mentoring team members;
- Exceptional communication, analysis and writing skills;
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host country governments, INGO, NGO, and civil society partners.
- Solid administrative experience including human resource and office management systems.
- Previous experience administering donor grants for a variety of sectoral areas for development initiatives.
- Experience of working with a variety of donors.
- Experience designing and writing successful grant proposals.
- Ability to work in a complex, post-conflict environment, building relationships and cooperating effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Relevant post-graduate degree;
- Acknowledge of M4P and agricultural-based value chains would be a plus;
- Technical background in one or more of GOAL’s areas of operation;
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. GOAL’s work in Turkey is rapidly growing and changing and GOAL reserves the right to change your job title, description or duties, having reasonable regard to your skills. Employees are expected to assume new assignments enthusiastically and perform to the best of their abilities.
Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Blantyre with frequent travel to field sites | Lilongwe
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2016-03-31