AIDA Director - Palestine
Palestine | Jerusalem
The Association of International Development Agencies (AIDA) is a membership body and coordination forum of international non-governmental and non-profit organizations (INGOs) hosted by NRC that share common values and a shared interest in promoting quality development and humanitarian programs in the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt).
AIDA aims to be a proactive and accountable network of INGOs which work in a coordinated and coherent way to respond to emergencies or humanitarian crises and towards sustainable and equitable development, human rights, social inclusion, poverty reduction and good governance in the oPt. AIDA works to achieve this by addressing issues that affect member’s ability to deliver effective and accountable humanitarian assistance and development programming.
AIDA supports its members to apply a rights based, gender sensitive, and conflict sensitive approach, focusing on advocacy and policy change addressing practices or violations of international law that create vulnerability and poverty.
NRC, as host agency supporting this Association, has an exciting and challenging opportunity for the right candidate who will play a vital role working with AIDA. We are now accepting applications for the role of AIDA Director, reporting directing to the AIDA Executive Committee.
The ideal candidate is:
A university graduate, preferably in management, social sciences or development, with more than 4 years of experience in a senior management role in a humanitarian/ recovery context. We are particularly looking for an experienced policy and advocacy individual with exceptional diplomatic and communication skills, who can confidently navigate and negotiate with a variety of actors at different levels. Strong English skills and a solid knowledge of the complexities of operating in Palestine are essential. Fluency in Arabic would be an advantage.
- Compliance with and adherence to AIDA and NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Manages the monthly General Assembly meeting, including setting the agenda of the meeting with input from the Exec Com.
- Acting as the first point of contact for AIDA members for urgent and/or emergency issues.
- Responsible for summaries of key meetings attended and keeping AIDA members and the board informed.
- Calls for ad hoc meetings when necessary.
- Directly manages and provides strategic guidance to the AIDA Secretariat; administers line management functions i.e. work plan, performance evaluations.
- Delegates tasks to AIDA staff/Chairs of Subcommittees/Gaza Focal Point according to their job descriptions.
- Responsible for making the day- to-day operational decisions in accordance with the Exec Com decisions and AIDA strategic planning
- Leads on the recruitment process of staff for the Secretariat.
- Attends external meetings where senior representation is required
- Leads process of participation of AIDA members in external meetings where AIDA representation is required or desired.
- Acts as the first point of contact for diplomats, UN officials, governments, and other senior officials.
- Ensures transparent coordination mechanisms and regular information-sharing between AIDA members and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate meetings with external stakeholders (donors, partners, UN agencies, and governmental bodies).
- Safeguards relationships with external coordination networks (PNGO, ICVA, Interaction)
- Chairs the Exec Com meetings, supports the drafting of the agenda and key points to be considered.
- Shares information on operational issues with the Exec Com on a regular basis.
- Responsible for monitoring and ensuring the performance and execution of the AIDA work plan and reporting to the Board.
- Responsible for executing decisions of the Exec Com and Country Director General meetings.
- Responsible for donor relations, program development, reporting, and compliance with timely reporting in coordination with the agency holding the AIDA Secretariat budget (NRC).
- Responsible for formulating the annual budget and managing it once approved by the Exec Com.
Commencement: Feb/Mar 2016
Contract period: 24 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale
Duty station: Jerusalem
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Palestine | Jerusalem
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2016-05-20