Fishery and Aquaculture Officer (Post Harvest Losses) P-3
Accra | Accra
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the Accra, Ghana
The Fishery and Aquaculture Officer reports to the Senior Fishery Officer in RAF.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
· Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
· Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages;
· Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
· Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases;
· Participates on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
· Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
· Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
· Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
· Participates in the design and implementation of programs, projects and activities related to post harvest fisheries;
· Collects, analyses and disseminates information on the technology, safety and quality of fish for human consumption
· Assists member countries in developing marketing and promotion strategies for their fisheries products;
· Develops and maintains contacts with institutions dealing with fish processing technology, safety and quality;
· Coordinates and follows up on activities to reduce post-harvest losses within the fisheries sector;
· Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping of post-harvest related field projects;
· Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices in post-harvest
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in food engineering, food technology or other related field
· Five years of relevant experience in , fishery products safety and quality, or related field
· Working knowledge of English and French
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in planning and supervising work related to fish processing technologies, safety, quality and nutrition,
· Extent and relevance of experience in providing relevant technical advice on technology, safety and quality of fish
· Depth of familiarity with fisheries sector in developing countries, and extent and relevance of experience with marketing and promotion strategies
· Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis and formulation of policies and programs for sustainability improvement in fisheries sector;
· Ability to analyze complex fisheries- issues from a farmers point of view
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Accra | Accra
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2016-03-15