Consultancy BIOMEDICAL TECHNICIAN
Juba | Juba
South Sudan, the newest nation in the world, has an estimated population of 9,297,254 which includes 1,952,423 children under the age of five years and 2,324,314 women of child bearing age. The newly independent country suffers from one of worst burden of the high rates of mortality, fertility and under-nutrition. The Infant Mortality Rate (IMR) and under-five mortality rates (U5MR) stand at 75 and 105 per 1000 live births respectively.
In responding to this high mortality and morbidity rates in the country, WHO with funding from the DFATD is implementing the comprehensive Emergency Obstetrics Care Project that aimed to make CEmONC services available 24/7; The project is implemented in six states referral hospitals and it includes construction of maternity complexes.
Purpose of the Post
To provide technical support to the DFATD maternal child health project, back stopped the chief engineer of the project and supervise the construction of maternity complexes in Aweil, Kwajork and Torit counties in South Sudan.
Under the overall guidance of the Project Manager, Chief Engineer and Operation officer, the consultant will work closely with Hospital administrators and technicians to carry out the following main duties:
Biomedical equipment inventory
Inventory of biomedical equipment in use on the wards
Inventory of spare parts and consumables on the wards.
Analysis of energy reviews based on generator capacity
Status of electrical protection (people, equipment and circuits)
Check electrical grounding
Biomedical equipment repair
Set up maintenance monitoring according to maintenance manual (*planning, spare parts lists and technical files*)
- Train field logistician and biomedical technician through tutoring
§ Assess the electrical installations identifying problems and needs covering all the aspects mentioned in the electricity policy.
§ Assess electrical material and determine quality standards.
§ Localize possible a focal persons –together with HR department- to implement, install or follow the works.
§ Assess the local company’s capacity to carry out electrical installations with a minimum quality according MSF protocols and the possibility of subcontracting electrical works.
§ Elaborate electrical sketches for dual power supply by solar and generator to be followed by contractors or implementing workers.
§ Develop maintenance schedule for focal person
· Plans and organises the supply and treatment of water to ensure quality in assigned projects site following water hygiene and sanitation standard protocols in force
· Ensures the proper follow up of water treatments instructions
· Monitors the consumption of water and reactive agents.
· Checks the good maintenance of the supply material installed in the field
· Plans the material maintenance with the technicians
· Being the technical reference person for all water supply
· Plans and organises the installation of toilets the assigned construction facilities
· Give training to ensures a proper monitoring of the maintenance and hygiene of these toilets
· Give technical support supervision on Plans and organises the construction of drainage systems and treatment of used water
· Supervise the construction of waste management area respecting different waste treatment disposal in a assigned health structure
· Give technical support to contractors on construction of waste management area and supervise Plans and organises the waste management per facility and/or department
· Ensures the implementation of protocols for waste treatment according to waste management standard are respected in day by day implementation , give trainings on proper waste segregation to its nature
· Checks that the water, hygiene and sanitation material is properly stocked
· Ensure the supply and provision of waste bins for proper waste segregation in a assigned project health structure
· Give training on medical waste management and treatment in a assigned project health structure
· Give Technical support on construction of de- Montfort incinerator
· Give Technical support on construction of a sharp pit and reducer
· Prepared the project construction work chart chronogram together with the contractor - daily work with the Work Supervisor(s) and Foremen
Building site supervision
· Checks that the work is carried out correctly, following Timelines, protocols and the project’s specifications
· Carries out quality control on the construction site (provides reports regularly)
· Regular reporting
Weekly and monthly reporting of all the areas of work
Develop maintenance logbook for all areas for the focal persons in each state
FIELD VISITS (6 states)
Maximum 20 -22 days per month in the field
Diploma in Electrical Engineering, biomedical engineering with specialization in electrical installation
- Excellent written and communication skills in English
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
Min. 5 years of relevant experience at national and international level
Duration of the post: 6months with probability of extension
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Juba | Juba
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2016-02-29