Agricultural Officer (Plant Production and Protection) P-4
Accra | Accra
The Regional Office for Africa, (RAF) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region
The position is located in the FAO's West Africa Team (WAT) responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representations (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing sub-regional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level.
The post is located in Accra, Ghana
The Agricultural Officer (P lant Production and Protection) reports to the Team Leader, West Africa Teamx.
Develop integrated crop programs that respond to the sub regional priorities and promote the principles of “Save and Grow” for achieving Sustainable Crop Production Intensification (SCPI) within the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) framework with emphasis on increasing resources use efficiency for increased ecosystem stability in national programs.
Comprehensive technical, statistical, analytical and/or policy analysis services and the development of specialized tools, methodologies, systems and/or databases to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programme of work and related products, projects, publications, and services
· Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
· Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
· Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
· Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
· Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
· Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
· Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
· Provides support for the coordination of technical support for the statutory bodies and international agreements of relevance to plant production and protection in the sub region; in particular provide technical leadership for the Inter-Africa Phytosanitary Council (IAPSC) and related institutions supporting pest management and pesticides management in the sub region;
· Maintains close collaboration with the CGIAR centers that are relevant to the Crops programmes in Africa with particular focus on IITA through their headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria;
· Contributes to the development of strong seed systems in West Africa working actively with the Headquarter seeds unit and the Africa Seeds network;
· Anticipates and support countries on pest outbreak;
· Participate at sub-regional level in the work planning process, implementation, monitoring and reporting of relevant FAO Strategic Programmes;
· Maintains close collaboration with the AU and the RECs in Africa and the relevant Technical Units dealing with various aspects of Sustainable Crop Production Intensification (i.e. Conservation Agriculture [CA], Climate Smart Agriculture, [CSA], Seed Systems, Pesticide Risk Reduction and Framer-Led Extension Approaches)
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in agriculture - crop production & protection, plant sciences or related field
· Seven years of relevant experience in crop production and protection including pesticide management in the field preferably including experience on main crops of the Africa region
· Working knowledge of English and French
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Extent and relevance of experience in plant production and protection in the Africa region
· Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation and implementation of projects, programmes and studies in the field of plant production and protection in Africa
· Extent and relevance of experience in providing policy advice at local, national, and regional levels in Africa
· Extent and relevance of experience in the implementation of international instruments related to plant protection
· Ability to organize and conduct technical meetings, conferences and workshops
· Knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations and national governments, and regional institutions in Africa
· Demonstrated ability to mobilize resources
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Accra | Accra
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Legal - Broad
- Human Rights
- Human Rights
- Civil Society
- Civil Society
- Closing Date: 2016-03-03