Senior Logistics Coordinator
16-073 Senior Logistics Coordinator
International Medical Corps, a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs, seeks candidates for the position of Senior Logistics Coordinator in Yemen .
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Working under the direct supervision of Country Director, the Senior Logistics Coordinator is the senior logistics appointment in the Mission or Response and is responsible for, and accountable for, the delivery of all logistics and supply chain related activities in accordance with International Medical Corps Logistics policies and procedures. Fundamental to this role is the ability to manage and motivate your logistics team and engage with other mission or response staff, external contractors and organizations therefore you are required to have the skills to communicate clearly verbally and in writing, plan for and deliver quality presentations and training, and produce timely written reports.
Working from Sana’a, Amman, and Djibouti as needed, this position will oversee daily logistics activities in seven (7) warehouse locations and more than forty (69) distribution points. IMC is currently distributing approximately 500 metric tons of WFP and UNICEF commodities per year, and is planning to expand operations even more in the future.
Increasing insecurity has caused challenges in all areas of operation. There has been a dramatic increase in kidnappings and targeted attacks of international organizations. Movement in and around Yemen is extremely limited, effecting IMCs operations in our target governorates of Sanaa, Taiz and Aden/Lahj. All movements must be coordinated and authorized on a daily basis with IMC security department. The majority of items moving along the Yemen supply chain are perishable, or high value medical supplies. The Senior Logistic Coordinator must manage the movements, preservation and security of commodity’s while in transit, storage and distribution to ensure quality assurance. The Senior Logistic Coordinator must train, upskill and influence staff to maintain warehouse best practice in tracking and monitoring expiration dates and issuing using a First in First out method. This position requires facilitating a close working relationship with WFP, UNICEF other stakeholders and government partners to facilitate strategies and implement procedures to reduce spoilage.
Fundamental to this role is the ability to manage and motivate a logistics operation with components across three countries (Jordan, Yemen, and Djibouti, a staging site for transport into Yemen) and engage with other mission or response staff, external contractors and organizations. This position therefore requires extensive skills to communicate clearly verbally and in writing, plan for and deliver quality presentations and training, and produce timely written reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Logistics Operations
• Provide the technical oversight, input and supervision to coordinate the staff support to, delivery of, and implementation of, all logistics support systems according to IMC Logistics policies and procedures.
• Provide planning support and advice to those making a procurement request, then process and manage the procurement process (either locally or internationally) in accordance with IMC policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost effective manner.
• Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items. Ensure that all procurements are tracked and recorded to identify items that should be part of a pre-approved tender process, and ensure that open and free competition for procurements is adhered too.
• Actively engage with freight forwarding agencies, freight handling/clearance agents, and local Customs, to ensure that cargo is managed at all points of the supply chain, and that all tracking and reporting deadlines are met.
• Proactively coordinate and direct the management and tracking of all medical supplies, equipment, materiel and food in transit, through its receipt, storage, and onward distribution to include the locating and negotiating contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements.
• Capture pipeline information, and coordinate the management of the supply chain ensuring that Program staff are well-informed and well-prepared for incoming goods and materiel. Ensure timely reporting on stock status, to help Program staff with planning of stock replenishment and that tracking through to end-user has occurred. And/or advise and support Program staff to verify that distribution has occurred according to the intentions and plans of the donors, IMC, and project partners
• Supervise and coordinate all matters logistics relating to transport and fuel management, to ensure that vehicles are insured, asset managed correctly, being driven safely, maintained appropriately, damages are reported, and ensure that vehicles internal equipment (tools, comms etc) are complete and serviceable; and that usage of fuel is correctly supervised, and logged and recorded. Liaise with security personnel on security-related transport issues, such as booking in/out, satcomms, radios etc.
• Supervise and coordinate all matters logistics regarding satellite communications and radio communications to ensure that equipment is insured, asset managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner, and maintained appropriately.
• Capture, plan and regularly update preparedness reporting for the logistic systems in place at the mission to include a current Logistic Concept of Operations. Plan to ensure that logistic systems are robust and flexible enough to cope if a crisis occurs by making thorough assessments of airports, transport available, warehousing, access routes, fuel availability, field comms issues, staffing challenges, training required etc. Raising issues though senior management as required.
• Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of action for audit purposes, and submit weekly and monthly logistics reports to the in-country management team, and IMC’s global logistics pursuant with IMC policies and procedures.
• Be flexible and manage your time accordingly, to be prepared to tackle other tasks commensurate with your role, and level of experience, at short notice.
• Ensure compliance with IMC policies and procedures, donor regulations and local laws.
• Ensure that the procurement and disposal of commodities, especially those subject to US Export Compliance regulations, are in line with applicable licenses and are properly documented.
• Ensure that vendor eligibility screening is carried out in a timely fashion, updated regularly, and, recorded appropriately.
- Human Resources
• Manage all staff within your department with integrity and foresight, and in accordance with HR procedures and policies to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism.
• If security situation allows, make frequent site visits to where staff supervised by you are working, to ensure that the appropriate care and support is being offered. Ensure that staff under your supervision are evaluated regularly, trained and/or mentored in a structured accountable manner, and written records of such are retained.
• Oversee the recruitment, selection and performance of logistics staff, as required.
- Training/ Capacity Building
• Advocate and plan for professional development for expat and national staff
• Determine training needs for staff supervised by you.
• Coordinate the delivery of training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity, and ensure sustainability of programs
- Working Relationships
• Proactively engage with the Country Director and key staff (Program, Finance, Medical) on all matters logistic to ensure that programmatic and project planning incorporates sufficient funding for logistical staff and logistical support mechanisms.
• Proactively engage on a regular basis with regional IMC logistics teams, and logistics coordinators from other organizations to ensure appropriate links for interagency logistics coordination.
• Proactively engage with donors, local government, project partners, UN agencies and other non-governmental organizations in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and materiel as, well as to ensure adequate information sharing, address common concerns/problems and seek solutions.
• Represent IMC in a positive and professional manner contributing to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of IMC’s mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors
• Ensure the application of, and compliance with, security protocols and policies of you and your supervised staff.
- Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
• Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
• Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
“Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.”
“To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function with or without reasonable accommodation.”
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Evidence of practical experience in logistics management within the field of supply chain management (procurement, tendering, contracting, clearance, transport, warehousing, etc.) fleet management and asset management, distribution support.
• Proven record of experience of the management of logistics at a coordination level.
• Evidence of 5 to 6 field deployments;or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3 to 4 humanitarian emergency deployments and 4 to 5 international deployments; minimum 6 weeks in length.
• Experience with donor specific procedures.
• It is desirable that experience is supported by study by academic study, such as completion of the Certification in Humanitarian Logistics.
• Prior experience of logistics software solutions (desired).
• Experience of the management of budgets and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate reports.
• Evidence of the ability to plan for, and conduct training in all areas of logistics for national and international staff (suitable to staff knowledge level).
• The commitment and demonstrated skills to build national staff capacity in the areas of logistics management, supervision and monitoring
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach
• Strong interpersonal, management and leadership skills
• Ability to work in participatory manner with staff to assess needs, implement and monitor activities
• Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
• Ability to work in harsh conditions, often in remote areas.
• Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organization skills
• Valid driving license
• Proficiency with MS Word and Excel (minimum requirement).
• Ability to read, write, analyze and interpret, technical and non-technical in the English language
• Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions.
• Ability to speak Arabic language a plus
Other Relevant Information (if applicable):
• Must be able to travel.
• Must be able to work in austere environments and lift, minimum, 45 pounds.
How to apply: Please go to: Senior Logistics Coordinator and follow the instructions for applying online.
“International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.”
To officially begin the application process, qualified candidates please go to our career page http://careers.internationalmedicalcorps.org/careers.aspx , noting where you noticed the position you are applying for and complete the online employment application form.
- Organization: IMC - International Medical Corps
- Location: Sanaa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2016-03-10