AGRO-INDUSTRY OFFICER (AGRIBUSINESS AND VALUE CHAINS) P-4
Cairo | Cairo
The Regional Office for RNE is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in Cairo, Egypt.
The Agro-Industry Officer (Agribusiness and Value Chains) reports to the Delivery Manager of the RNE Regional Initiative for Building Resilience for Food Security and Nutrition, under the overall supervision of the Assistant Director General/Regional Representative (ADG/RR).
Supports the provision of technical assistance and strategic guidance to member countries and national institutions on agro-industry development, market linkages and value chain development, agribusiness, and food loss and waste reduction.
The Agro-Industry Officer (Agribusiness and Value Chains) works within the framework of the RNE Regional Initiatives. The incumbent works in close collaboration with the Agro-food Industries Group, Nutrition and Food Systems (ESN) in FAO Headquarters.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of RNE regional initiatives, departmental and division programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with regional, departmental, division objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
· Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies
· Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services
· Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise
· Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects
· Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools
· Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings
· Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
· In the context of a member-country endorsed “ Strategic Framework for the Reduction of Food Losses and Waste in the Near East and North Africa”, engages in strategy development and programme/action plan formulation with member countries
· Serves as focal point within RNE for agro-industry development, value chain development, and food losses and waste reduction, and provides assistance and guidance to technical officers, including those based in other Regional or Sub-regional Offices and FAO Representations
· Contributes to field programme development on agro-industry and value chain development from project idea through formulation, approval and funding
· Supports knowledge exchange activities and networking, builds partnerships within RNE countries under the umbrella of the RNE’s food loss and waste programme of work, and the Global Initiative on Food Loss and Waste Reduction.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in agricultural engineering, food science and technology, economics, agricultural economics or other related discipline
· Seven years of relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: value chain analysis and development, agribusiness and market development, agro-food processing, post-harvest handling, and agro-food industry technologies
· Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Extent and relevance of experience in developing countries and/or in the Near East and North African Region is considered an asset
· Extent and relevance or knowledge of value-added transformation and technologies of food and agricultural materials through processing, packaging, handling and storage, including product quality aspects within food and commodity chains
· Specific experience in post-harvest management, preferably in loss measurement and reduction
· Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis, design, implementation and evaluation of strategies, programmes and projects related to value chain, agribusiness, or agro-food industries development
· Experience in organizing and facilitating international meetings, seminars and training courses in the technical general area of agro-industries development
· Working knowledge of Arabic or French is highly desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Cairo | Cairo
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2016-03-02