Regional WASH Core Competency Advisor
Nairobi | Nairobi
Regional WASH Core Competency Advisor Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within Shelter, Education, and Food security, Legal Assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The purpose of the Regional WASH Core Competency Adviser position is to provide all rounded WASH technical support in the region in planning, implementation, proposal development, monitoring and Evaluation, capturing impact evidences, introducing innovations and capacity building in line with the regional strategy and the respective country strategies.
· Provide guidance and capacity building across countries in the region to ensure that NRC delivers high quality, effective and relevant programming in line with Programme Policy and strategic CC priorities in the region.
· Establishing and supervising technical lines, communication and knowledge sharing on relevant core competency or cross-cutting issue across countries in the region
· Conduct periodic field visits for problem solving and ensure that implementation of WASH program is sustainable and in compliance with agreed donor’s requirements and NRC and government policies and global standards.
· Contribute to adapting NRC’s programme approaches through innovation and development in the relevant CC or cross-cutting issue, in close cooperation with the Global CCA (Team Leader) and the field
· Support the consolidation of a learning culture – documentation, operational research, and capturing best practices to enable regional countries to achieve and/or surpass established targets and standards.
· Contribute to strategic development of WASH Programme in the Region by supporting Countries in developing CC strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs
· Contribute to global programme development projects and manage regional programme development projects, including fundraising, budgets and reporting to partners according to deadlines and quality requirements
· Represent NRC in relevant humanitarian forums at both regional and global levels
· Scoping, facilitating and encouraging innovative approaches to programming in the region.
· Identify regional advocacy issues related to the relevant CCs and cross cutting issue
· Contribute with advice and technical inputs on recruitment of country level CC staff
· Specific responsibilities
· Provide technical oversight of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activities in the Region, with a major focus on Water Engineering aspects
· Support in the development of WASH emergency preparedness, contingency planning and response capacities and contribute to emergency WASH response in the region on demand.
· Design multi country projects and identify various donor priorities and funding opportunities for WASH interventions in the region.
· Develop appropriate technical training packages and modules for WASH to enhance the capacity of NRC staff and partner NGOs engaged by NRC in its implementation of WASH interventions.
· In collaboration with other Regional CC Advisors, identify and promote synergy between the CCs and further these through suitable project conceptualization and designing
· Coordinate at a regional level with technical focal points of different organizations and NRC technical unit to share information, ensure learning between agencies and identifying opportunities for joint programming and fundraising.
· Standardize technical approaches and guidelines within the region around WASH interventions as well as processes such as assessments, monitoring and evaluation.
· At least 8 years relevant experience in WASH in an international NGO or similar organization with minimum of 5 years managerial position in WASH related interventions, especially in refugee/ IDP/ displacement/Emergency contexts
· Advanced Degree in Water Resource Engineering, Hydro geology, Environmental Sanitation & related fields.
· Good computer skills including MS Word, Excel, access, internet and engineering design software.
· Knowledge and Experience in CLTS, SLTS, DBC Framework, and PHAST.
· Appropriate skills and experience in the capacity building and training of staff and partners.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written English and sensitive to other cultures.
· Creates and encourages a climate of team-working and collaboration in a multi-cultural environment.
· Advanced understanding and experience on programme monitoring and evaluation issues. Ability to design M & E tools relevant to the WASH sector and roll it out to the technical and M & E teams
· Experience in leading multisectoral assessment teams and providing technical guidance on WASH issues, in response to emergencies
· Ability to work closely with field based national staff and experience in various staff training and development approaches
· High level of communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
· Ability to write high quality concept notes and technical sections for donor proposals
· Knowledge of the context in the Greater Horn of Africa Region
· Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
· Experience with project development, especially from an emergency and post-emergency phases
· Experience working with various donors and conversant with their technical frameworks and strategies (eg. UNHCR, DFID, SIDA, ECHO, EU etc.)
· Experience in capacity building and community mobilization
· Experience in advocacy work
· Experience with coordination mechanisms (cluster and sectorial)
· College / University, Bachelor's degree
· Handling insecure environmentsManaging resources to optimize results
· Managing performance and development§
· Communicating with impact and respect
· Strategic thinking and diplomatic
· Empowering and building trust
· Initiating action and coping with change
· Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision
· Able to present and represent an organization
· Culturally sensitive and coping with a changing environment
· Flexible and creative
· Commencement: ASAP
· Contract period: 1 Year
· Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
· Duty station: Nairobi
· Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
· Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
· Travel: Some travelling must be expected
Please apply through: www.nrc.no
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi | Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2016-02-19