Food Safety and Quality Officer P-4
Rome | Rome
The Food Safety and Quality Unit of the Agriculture and Consumer Protection Department supports the strengthening of systems of food safety and quality management at national, regional and international levels. This involves providing scientific advice on food safety issues, support to programmes of capacity development and facilitation of effective communication and access to information by all Member countries on food safety and quality issues. It is a recognized global leader in the provision of scientific advice on food safety issues to support the establishment of international standards for the safety and quality of foods.
The post is located in the Food Safety and Quality Unit, AGFF
The Food Safety and Quality Officer reports to the Senior Food Safety Officer
Leads the activities to strengthen systems of food safety surveillance and to improve the availability and use of food safety intelligence and information at national, regional and global levels to prevent food safety incidents or to limit their impact.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Departmental/Division programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Departmental/Division objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives
· Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide, cross-Departmental committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies.
· Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services.
· Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise.
· Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
· Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools..
· Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings.
· Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
· Coordinates and monitors the implementation of the EMPRES-Food Safety programme, serves as focal point for EMPRES-Food Safety within the Food Chain Crisis Management Framework (FCC) and other emergency-related programmes.
· Develops approaches for collection, monitoring and analysis of integrated data to support food safety foresight and early warning activities.
· Participates in the work of the International Food Safety Authority Network (INFOSAN) Secretariat.
· Provides guidance and technical assistance to support countries in improving their food safety control programmes, including, in the establishment of the implementation of early warning systems and national food safety emergency response plans.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
· Advanced university degree in food science, food technology, food microbiology, public health, statistics, epidemiology, veterinary medicine, public health, or a related field
· Seven years of relevant experience in food safety, which include experience at national or regional level in the assessment or management of food safety events
· Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
· Results Focus
· Building Effective Relationships
· Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
· Extent and relevance of experience in food safety and its application in food safety programmes along the food supply chain
· Extent and relevance of experience in the collection and analysis of food safety monitoring and surveillance data/information at national, regional or international level
· Depth and understanding of mechanisms and approaches for monitoring and analysis of data on food safety threats
· Extent and relevance of experience in the development of networks and project management
· Extent and relevance of experience in different countries and regions, especially in developing countries and countries in transition
· Ability to mobilize resources and to deliver against deadlines
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
· All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “*How to Apply*”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
· Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
· Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
· Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
To apply, visit the iRecruitment website at http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ and complete your online profile. Only applications received through iRecruitment will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
Vacancies will be removed from iRecruitment at 23:59 Central European Time (CET) on the deadline for applications date. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Rome | Rome
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Security and Safety
- Security and Safety
- Security and Safety
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22