Liasion/Fundraising Of (Gulf)
Liaison/Fundraising Officer (Gulf)
Direct supervision is normally exercised by the Snr Programme Officer who provides guidance on the applicable procedures. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ. The incumbent may supervise some support staff. External contacts are predominantly with Partners, media, government embassies and other international organizations on matters of importance to the Organization.
- UNHCR¿s private sector donor base in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries is expanded.
- Quality proposals for funding are coordinated with relevant Bureaux and operations and are submitted to donors in the Gulf Cooperation Council.
- Relations with government donors in the Gulf Cooperation Council are maintained with a view to advocate for support to UNHCR programmes and negotiate contributions.
- Donor fund raising strategies are developed.
- In coordination with Office of the Director of MENA, build and strengthen liaison with the GCC countries involved in the Syria/Iraq operation and identify appropriate messages for country or sector specific campaigns and appeals.
- Contribute to the production of information products tailored for consumption by stakeholders in the GCC, and optimize accountability through accurate and timely reporting, internally and externally, on received contributions.
- In coordination with other relevant units ensure that adequate information is being channelled to and from GCC actors on the ground for a successful donor appeal. Prepare reports as appropriate, organize regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions as appropriate.
- Negotiate contributions, striving for timeliness, predictability and maximum flexibility
- Negotiate, draft and follow up on bilateral agreements with GCC donors where appropriate and suggest actions to be taken by his/her supervisor or the Representative.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Keep abreast both of UNHCR operations and institutional developments as well as political and socio-economic developments in the Gulf Cooperation Council and the Middle East.
- Liaise with the relevant operations and Bureaux/Divisions on implementations/reporting on donations from the GCC to UNHCR operations.
- Initiate and plan the consultative process with UNHCR colleagues (Programme, Protection, etc.) with external actors and partners, so as to develop and implement protection and assistance strategy, with clearly articulated objectives, timelines and outputs.
- Prepare communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia and persons of concern).
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR¿s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
- Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Support senior management in representing UNHCR in the UN Country Team and other UN coordination fora.
- Support, and participate in, local UN integrated missions, Inter-Agency Standing Committee, Emergency Relief Coordinator and Cluster communication strategies and initiatives.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR¿s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
- Prepare situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Assist in the development of targeted communications strategies and media packages for situations and/or activities that require focused attention.
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve fundraising messages.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve any relevant expenditure for the implementation of fundraising activities.
- Propose which donors to approach and which operations or activities to prioritize for special fundraising appeals.
- Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
- Approve budgets and expenditures for communications activities.
- Clear external relations/communication products and tools as appropriate.
- Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fund-raising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism or other related fields.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant work experience desirably of which minimum of 2 years in International capacity.
- Highly developed drafting ability in working language of duty station.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of Arabic.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Good knowledge of UNHCR operations both at Headquarters and in the Field.
- Previous experience in Fundraising in GCC region.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X004L3 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
X007L3 - Political Awareness Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Amman
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- External Relations
- External Relations
- External Relations
- External Relations
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22