Assc Comm/PI Officer
Associate Communication/Public Information Officer
The Associate Communication/PI Officer will work under the supervision and guidance of the (Senior) Communication/PI Officer or (Deputy) Representative. The incumbent will assist his/her supervisor to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussion and explanation. S/he may supervise one support staff.
External contacts are generally with a broad range of officials from national and international institutions, media or general public on matters of importance to the Organization.
- UNHCR's media relations and advocacy work within geographic and thematic areas are effectively supported.
- The organization's standing with media and audiences is maintained.
- Assist in developing and implementation of the communications strategies, campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of UNHCR's strategic objectives.
- Provide necessary output in researching, preparing, fact-checking, editing, and producing of the professional media and communications materials for various audiences and ensuring through the Representative their timely dissemination via UNHCR's communications channels.
- Assist in organizing press events, handling interviews requests, and on behalf of the Representative or other senior staff providing responses to requests from media relating to UNHCR and its work in consultation with the supervisor.
- Develop working relationships with Governments, NGOS, and UN agencies in order to raise interest and develop cooperation.
- Undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of UNHCR and its work.
- Actively maintain media relations for UNHCR and have access to information and UNHCR expertise.
- Assist in preparation of communications budgets.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Represent UNHCR in press events, interviews and other media events.
- Produce reports and press releases for donors and other stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Journalism, International Relations, Communications, Political Science or similar relevant field.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant job experience at professional level in progressively responsible functions related to UNHCR and/or any other humanitarian agency on promotional activities of the agency.
- General understanding of UN/UNHCR reforms and the priority agenda of the organization.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint essential).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
- Highly developed drafting ability in the UN working language of the duty station.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
- Very good IT affinity specific focus on preparation of website/pages.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M001L2 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 2
X002L2 - Innovation and Creativity Level 2
X003L2 - Technological Awareness Level 2
X007L2 - Political Awareness Level 2
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Abidjan
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22