Durable Sol Officer
Durable Solutions Officer
The Durable Solutions Officer is a focal point for solutions related issues in a country, and reports to the Senior Durable Solutions Officer, Senior Protection Officer or, where appropriate, to the Assistant or Deputy Representative. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for durable solutions staff, who may include staff within the functional groups of durable solutions, reintegration, repatriation, and resettlement. She/He works closely with protection and programme staff and ensures operational standards and practices in solutions delivery at the country level.
The Durable Solutions Officer is relied upon to assist in the development, implementation and adherence to a durable solutions strategy. The Durable Solutions Officer should provide planning and foresight to advance progress in Protracted Refugee situations, where applicable, and/or to prevent new situations from becoming protracted. Assisting the Country Office in fostering an environment to enhancement partnerships is a critical element of the work, as are activities designed to strength the involvement of refugee communities and their hosts in the design and implementation of solutions strategies. A maximum number of persons of concern should benefit from appropriate durable solutions. Broader development plans should be considered. Frequent travel is expected.
- The durable solutions strategy is implemented in a manner which ensures that all available solutions are complimentary and reinforce each other.
- The durable solutions strategy is implemented in a manner which capitalizes on regional mobility frameworks and partnerships.
- Durable solutions are integrated in all protection and programmatic activities, linking security, legal, economic and social welfare issuesAppropriate durable solutions are offered to a maximum number of PoCs.
- Implement activities in accordance with the comprehensive solutions strategy, with a view to finding durable solutions to the maximum number of PoCs.
- Participate in the planning of, and advise on opportunities for alternative solutions, including available regional and national legal frameworks.
- Participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and with a broad range of regional and national external partners to promote voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement.
- Contribute to fostering and maintaining strategic partnerships with UN, national, and regional development agencies, civil societies and the private sector.
- Advise on populations of concern' appropriate engagement for the identification of the most appropriate solutions, including through participatory assessments and other forms of community based assessments.
- Provide guidance and input to the annual programme planning to identify adequate resources and means to implement the programme country-wide
- Advise on the integration and mainstreaming of self-reliance as a key component of a durable solutions strategy and ensure the involvement of PoCs in transition projects, peace-building and development initiatives.
- Monitor the implementation of the durable solutions strategy and provide advice for improvements.
- Analyse statistics, trends, and other documents, and draft reports.
- Conduct training activities aimed at the capacity building of UNHCR and partner staff on durable solutions, peacebuilding/coexistence and partnership.
- Monitor the implementation of the programme through managing the human and financial resources and identify gaps to ensure optimum use of available funds.
- Implement and contribute to the design of national and regional comprehensive durable solutions strategies.
- Engage national and regional interlocutors on durable solutions issues.
- Represent UNHCR in meetings related to durable solutions.
- Clear documents and reports coming out of the Durable Solutions Unit.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Education: University Degree in Law/International Law, Political Science, Social Science, Economics, International Relations or related field.
- Job Experience: Minimum 8 years (6 years with Advanced University degree) relevant professional experience with a minimum of 2 years field experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of UN working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Diverse field experience desirable.
- Good knowledge of MS Word, Excel, ProGres and MSRP.
- Completion of the RSD- Resettlement Learning Programme, Protection Learning Programme and Management Learning Programme desirable.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22