Regional Livelihoods Officer
Regional Livelihoods Officer
RO Argentina covers 6 countries (ARG, BOL, CHL, PER, PAR, URU), with presence in 2 (ARG, CHL). The Regional Livelihoods Officer has a key role in the development and implementation of a sustainable local integration strategy in the Southern Cone, focusing on the promotion of livelihoods opportunities for refugees. S/he will be based in Buenos Aires, with frequent missions to the countries of the Southern Cone. Her/his national governmental counterpart will mainly be CONARE, and s/he will also work very closely with UNHCR partners, line ministries, municipalities, private corporations and UN Agencies. S/he will also maintain a regular contact with asylum seekers and refugees. S/he should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, convincing in donor mobilization and able to take initiatives. S/he will provide much needed local knowledge to develop the local livelihood assets and social infrastructure to develop and sustain Refugee Livelihoods.
UNHCR¿s country operation has sufficient support in the field of livelihoods, thus is better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Under the overall framework of the Brazil Declaration and Plan of Action (BPA), in line with the Protection and Solutions Strategy for the Southern Cone, and in close consultation and cooperation with the multi-functional teams, develop a comprehensive Regional Livelihoods Strategy. The Regional Livelihoods Strategy will guide ROARG's livelihoods activities in all six countries covered by Regional Office Argentina.
- Upon specific requests from field operations, coordinate the completion of country-specific technical assessments (socioeconomic assessments and wealth ranking) and provide recommendations to ensure quality, proper targeting, cost-effectiveness, sustainability, age/gender/diversity mainstreaming, and environmental soundness of livelihoods interventions.
- Guide the Office in commissioning out and coordinating market assessments and institutional mapping exercises to identify existing services, programmes and employment opportunities available for refugees and ensure that assessed results are adequately reflected in the Regional Livelihoods Strategy and used in the Office's programmatic response.
- Ensure, in coordination with relevant Programme colleagues, project implementation of livelihoods-related activities and delivery of expected results within budget/resources, timeframe, and in accordance with project agreements.
- Bearing in mind the differentiated profiles & needs of the population, actively promote the inclusion of asylum seekers and refugees, including resettled refugees, in social assistance schemes and public policies available in the countries covered by UNHCR, through the identification of opportunities that bear the potential for the effective legal, social and economic inclusion of POC, and assist the Office in the realization of these opportunities.
- Develop strategies to engage the municipalities (Cities of Solidarity) in the efforts to promote local integration and assistance of asylum seekers and refugees.
- Boost the concept of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in the region for the benefit of enhancing refugee inclusion and integration. Take proactive actions/initiatives in order to establish formal working channels with the private sector in order to strengthen the programme ¿Work to Integrate¿ (Trabajar para integrar) in Argentina and other similar initiatives in the countries covered by UNHCR.
- Develop coordination mechanisms with CONARE and other actors (public and private sector) who can contribute in the local integration process and improve livelihoods prospects for refugees.
- Promote regional networks for the coordination and exchange of best practices between CONAREs, municipalities and partners.
- Advise governments and partners in the design and implementation of livelihoods aspects for a sustainable resettlement model.
- Planning in a multifunctional team and capacity-building:
- Ensure a coordinated and comprehensive approach for livelihoods programming by working with multi-functional teams, and particularly closely with Protection colleagues.
- Participate in the overall planning, implementation and reporting of the ROARG's operation in the six countries covered, providing relevant information and technical support, thereby ensuring the coherent implementation of the Protection and Solutions Strategy for the Southern Cone and ROARG's Livelihoods Strategy.
- Plan and implement training activities aimed at building the capacity of UNHCR and partner staff to achieve local integration and sustainable livelihoods and promote effective partnership.
- Provide technical and practical guidance to UNHCR staff in the field (UNHCR programme staff, consultants, specialists deployed under relevant standby agreements, technical counterparts from operational and implementing partners) in the form of technical briefings, review of and feedback on reports, debriefings, and regular follow-up.
- Participate in participatory assessment exercises and carry out regular visits to refugee families in order to have a comprehensive diagnosis of the profiles and needs of asylum seekers and refugees; draft the livelihoods chapter of any regular and/or ad-hoc needs assessments.
- Carry out institutional and technical arrangements for an overall assessment of the Regional Livelihoods Strategy that will include systematization of the experience, creation of a mechanism to regularly exchange lessons learnt and good practices in the countries covered by ROARG.
- Review and provide technical guidance to the project proposals submitted by Partners to ensure technical soundness, cost-effectiveness and coherence with relevant UNHCR policies, in particular, on gender, age and diversity. Assist ROARG in monitoring the implementation of livelihoods activities/programmes in the five countries to ensure compliance.
- Assist senior managers in resource mobilization by drafting project documents and reporting on progress on integration projects.
- Analyze statistics, trends, and other documents and assist in the preparation of reports on local integration and resettlement matters.
- Collaborate with Regional Legal Unit and relevant technical and support services at UNHCR Headquarters in the establishment and maintenance of a knowledge management system and up-to-date information on UNHCR livelihoods projects in Latin America.
- Liaise with relevant offices/sections/units at HQs and in other UNHCR Offices involved in durable solution issues and provide support when technical assistance is needed.
- Engage in regular updates with the Livelihoods Unit (DPSM) in Headquarters.
- Coordinate closely with Senior Livelihoods Officer in Brazil.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Enforce livelihood strategies and guidelines.
- Represent UNHCR in the meetings and for a related to the functions.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Economics, Business administration, Development studies, Micro-finance or Urban policy & planning, Financial management or other related fields.
- At least 8 years (6 yars with advanced degree) of relevant professional job experience; of which 2 years should be in an international capacity. Experience with urban programming is essential.
- Proven experience in planning, implementing, and monitoring livelihoods programmes (and managing multiple projects).
- Experience in programmes related to risks and vulnerability assessment; community development and participation; self-reliance; urban and rural small business development and/or microfinance.
- Experience in working in multi-functional teams and record of accomplishment in gender, age and diversity-responsive livelihoods policy planning and implementation. - Demonstrated professional exposure to poverty-related issues in developing countries (Latin American/Caribbean experience strongly preferred).
- Knowledge about latest development in the livelihoods sector, and in-depth knowledge of technical sectors in livelihoods such as small business development and/or microfinance, vocational training and technical education, entrepreneurship building, cash assistance, employment services, community development and participation, market based approach, market assessment and value chain analysis.
- Experience identifying and developing local partnerships, especially with the private sector.
- Knowledge of migration/refugee issues and working experience in refugee and resettlement programmes.
- Experience in working effectively with national authorities (government, municipalities), national NGOs and UN organizations.
- Excellent networking skills with private and public sector institutions.
- Excellent computer skills including excel, word and power point.
- Excellent command of the Spanish language, both written and spoken, is a must in order to interact with several levels of key actors and to interact with beneficiaries.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience in incorporating technical inputs and special projects in livelihood development.
- Experience in Monitoring and evaluating programmes/projects.
- Proven record of staff development and capacity building of staff.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Buenos Aires
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22