Assc Supply Officer
Adjumani / Pakelle
Associate Supply Officer
The Associate Supply Officer manages and supports all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance and warehousing management in the operation.
The incumbent is normally supervised by the (Senior) Supply Officer who defines the objectives and provides general guidance. S/he will also refer to UNHCR manuals and relevant policy papers. The incumbent normally supervises some support staff.
Contacts are predominantly with other UN agencies, Implementing partners and Government departments on relevant subject matters at the working level.
- UNHCR delivers timely and quality goods and services to persons of concern in compliance with supply chain rules and procedures.
- The local supply chain function is optimised and aligned with the operations' evolving needs and management systems and has an infrastructure that is robust and flexible enough to accommodate operational requirements.
- Supply chain activities are supported by effective partners.
- Prepare plans for delivery of relief items according to operational needs.
- Apply UNHCR's procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- Through regular physical verification of PPE establish their status, propose old and obsolete PPE for disposal and plan for the arrival of replacement items.
- Identify partners for supply chain projects based on objectives, priorities, strengths and resources of the implementing partner and/or contractor, according to criteria consistent with UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Resolve difficulties in the local supply chain by finding solutions to problems and bottlenecks, and provide regular reports on supply chain activities, the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
- Ensure timely customs clearance of consignments, and manage storage of goods according to "best practices" and UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Maintain an efficient system for the release, distribution and redeployment of goods.
- Coordinate transportation and distribution of relief items.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on logistical activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
- Coordinate activities of implementing partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Through regular physical verification of PPE establish their status.
- Propose old and obsolete PPE for disposal and plan for arrival of replacement items.
- Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
- Draft and dispatch quotation requests and/or tenders, assist in the evaluation of offers and draft bid-tabulations, and prepare proposals for award of contracts to the Committee on Contracts.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence;
- Monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods to ensure timely delivery.
- Analyse matters relating to procurement activities, and deliver information on all procurement activities within area of responsibility. Provide guidance and advice on UNHCR procurement policies and procedures to support and assist requesting sections.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organisation including receipt, inspection, registration and marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), and organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
- Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed.
- Ensure proper preparation of disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board.
- Organise the disposal of PPE, according to Asset Management Board decisions.
- Provides asset management reports, customised reports, and gathers information on all assets and provides in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
- Analyse the quality of commodities and services delivered in relation to the needs of the location and established quality standards. Establish a local quality assurance process.
- Analyse the existing infrastructure and ensure that it is optimally aligned with the operational needs.
- Implement practical projects to improve supply performance that has clear objectives, timescales, tasks and resources defined. Monitor the project implementation and report on progress.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems.
- Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR's global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
- Adapt local supply chain structures to be consistent with the operational needs. Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt local process to the prevailing environment.
- Any other responsibility deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of Supply Management Service in order to meet the level of service requires by the organisation.
- Identify, assess and select vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Maintain vendor and item master databases.
- Allocate resources to meet demand and support the on-going operation in compliance with the resources allocation framework.
- Determine shipment methods, routes and delivery schedules to meet demand in the most timely and cost-effective manner.
- Award, approve and terminate local contracts in accordance with delegated authorities, as well as, relevant UNHCR regulations, rules and procedures.
- Enforce compliance of supervised staff with relevant UNHCR supply chain regulations, rules and procedures and appraise their performance.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University Degree in business Administration, marketing, Engineering, Logistics, Mathematics or a related field.
- Minimum 4 years of previous relevant professional job experience.
- Fluency in English with working knowledge of another relevant UN language.
(In offices where the working language is not English, excellent knowledge of working language of duty station and working knowledge of English.)
*** For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of the local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position such as the Supply Chain Learning Programme (SCLP).
- Other UN procurement and logistics training ¿ such as IAPSO and UNPD.
- Knowledge and working experience of PeopleSoft/MSRP Supply Chain applications.
C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M006L2 - Managing Resources Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X005L2 - Planning and Organizing Level 2
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Adjumani / Pakelle
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22