Head of Unit (Sup Pol&Cap Dev)
Head of Unit (Supply Policy and Capacity Development)
Contextually, the Procurement Service (PS) is expected to deliver an improved service to clients such as HQ organizational units and UNHCR operations around the globe. Thus, PS must ensure that high quality procurement is combined with faster turnaround of end-to-end procurement actions (from planning to contract / order placement). To this end, PS was recently reconfigured and now comprises of two sections. Namely, the Procurement HQ Section and Procurement Field Support Section. The Procurement HQ Section supports and conducts procurement of goods and services based on requests of various HQ's organizational units, i.e. DIST, DFAM, DPSM, DHRM, DER, Bureaux, etc. whilst the Procurement Field Support Section assists UNHCR operations to conduct procurement of services and goods and covers policy and capacity development activities on behalf of the entire Supply Chain in UNHCR.
The Procurement Field Support Section will contain the Supply Policy and Capacity Development Unit, which aims to consolidate business support for the Supply chain, encompassing policy drafting; coordination with GLC of capacity building and training for Supply staff which is linked to provision of Help Desk support; communication and business analysis.
The incumbent will lead a diverse team whilst discharging her/his duties as the primary drafter of supply policy. S/he will supervise staff in the international professional and general service category. S/he is responsible to draft Supply policy, and to lead the development of training materials to support capacity building and to link this to the training needs expressed through Help Desk queries. Business support will be underpinned by effective communication and sound information analysis and reporting.
Because of the policy content and the support nature of this position, the incumbent will require extensive UNHCR Field Supply experience in order to have sufficient knowledge and credibility to fulfil the role.
A combination of excellent technical and soft management skills including an extensive and varied experience in different aspects of Supply is a further requirement.
The incumbent is expected to be a self-starter, requiring minimal day-to-day supervision, whilst at the same time demonstrating strong networking skills and a team-orientated mind-set.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR's supply staff are effectively supported by policy and related material that are adapted to operational circumstance, compliant with UN rules and regulations and appropriately tuned to address risk.
- UNHCR Supply staff are supported by an effective Supply Chain Learning Program and by a dynamic set of webinars and written / online material to address their capacity building and training requirements.
- The Supply Help Desk comprehensively caters for all manner of Supply related queries and there is an effective loop back into training content.
- Communication on Supply matters and analysis of Supply information support the goals and needs of the Supply function.
- Draft with high quality the Supply policies and related materials in Chapter 8 and in Administrative Instructions.
- Liaise with GLC and with the network of Supply staff to understand and shape capacity building material.
- Analyse Help Desk queries to ensure scope is comprehensive and repeated queries are holistically addressed.
- Analyse business information and have close dialogue with Supply management team, to shape effective reporting.
- Conduct dialogue with Supply management team to develop and implement effective communication on Supply matters.
- Manage staff performance and coordinate activities.
- Develop relevant contacts and build constructive relations with partner Organizations, UN Agencies and other external counterparts to foster mutual cooperation for issues of concern.
- Implement practical projects to improve supply performance that has clear objectives, timescales, tasks and resources defined and monitors the project execution against the plans and takes action when actual implementation deviates from plans.
- Any other responsibility relevant for this function.
- Clear policy and procedural material for all aspects of Supply.
- Clear all supply training material developed with GLC.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- University degree in Procurement, Supply or Logistics, Business Administration, Law or equivalent relevant degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of job experience relevant to the function.
- Minimum of 5 years in an international capacity, and 5 years in a leadership role.
- Minimum of 5 years working at an international level in a Field Supply function for UNHCR.
- Technical knowledge of inventory management, procurement, logistics and asset/fleet management at UNHCR in a Field capacity.
- Strong practical experience of all aspects of Supply.
- Knowledge of UN and UNHCR Financial Regulations and Rules.
- Proven ability to lead a team.
- Proven proactive and customer service oriented attitude.
- Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks with speed, in a courteous and service-oriented manner.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player, flexible and adaptive in various situations, including multi-cultural and multi-lingual environments.
- Fluency in written and spoken English language.
- Excellent written drafting skills in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience in a Supply HQ function.
- Experience and working knowledge of ERP systems, and UNHCR¿s MSRP Supply Chain Module.
- Knowledge of French language, written and spoken.
C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M005L3 - Leadership Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X006L3 - Policy Development & Research Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X008L3 - Stakeholder Management Level 3
Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in Add.2 to the September 2015 Compendium is Monday 22 February 2016 (midnight Geneva time).
- Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2016-02-22